[Essay] Polite request/question of address - Not follow by question mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nel Doozy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need help with this letter:

Thank you very much for the invitation to interview for the Marketing Intern postion. I appreciate the opportunity and I look forward to meeting with CEO, John Smith on Tuesday April 23rd at 12:00 PM (afternoon), on 300 xxx Ave. Orinda, California 94xxx. If address is not correct can you please let me know in advance?. Thank you very much.

Is there a way to ask for an address in a more polite manner? and do I need a period after question mark (?)? if not what about capitalization after question mark?

According to
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu, "when a question constitutes a polite request, it is usually not followed by a question mark. This becomes more true as the request becomes longer and more complex: Would everyone in the room who hasn't received an ID card please move to the front of the line."

So what a question that constitutes a polite request of an address in the above letter (one that wouldn't need the use of a question mark)?

:?:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums.

Thank you very much for the invitation to interview for the Marketing Intern position. I appreciate the opportunity and I look forward to meeting with CEO, John Smith on Tuesday April 23rd at 12:00 PM [STRIKE](afternoon)[/STRIKE], at 300 xxx Ave. Orinda, California 94xxx. If this address is not correct can you please let me know in advance?Thank you very much.

Is there a way to ask for an address in a more polite manner? That is polite enough. And do I need a period after question mark? No. if not what about capitalization after question mark? Yes.

I would leave the question mark in. To avoid the problem, simply delete 'can you'. It's still a polite request.

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The question mark is fine. You are asking a question, not phrasing a demand as a "polite request."

A question mark, like an exclamation point, ends a sentence properly. You do not add a period after either of those marks at the end of a sentence.

And, since it does end a sentence here, it is correct to use a capital letter to start the next sentence.

You do not need a comma after "CEO." And you should say "at" before the address.

Status
Not open for further replies.