Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    mznm is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking FCE writing: good enough?

    Hi, I'm preparing for FCE exam.
    Could you tell me how an English native feels when he reads the following essay?

    Which are the most important subjects for young people to study at school and why?

    I think that the most important subjects for young people to study at school are Maths and English.
    Young people should concentrate on Maths just because every branch of science relies on Maths today. Firstly, if you want to study something related to physics, chemistry, electronics, engineering you have to study Maths a lot, in order to acquire that rationalistic mindset that you need to understand science. Secondly, you'll learn how to focus your attention on something which seems very hard and this is certainly an important thing in the everyday life.
    Then you have to study English because it's simply the world language. With the help of english you can interact with people from all over the world to solve problems, learn new things, stay tuned with the news, just with an internet connection.
    At the end, I'm sure that Maths and English are the most important subjects because they're the most modern and useful.

  2. #2
    mznm is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by mznm View Post
    Hi, I'm preparing for FCE exam.
    Could you tell me how an English native feels when he reads the following essay?

    Which are the most important subjects for young people to study at school and why?

    I think that the most important subjects for young people to study at school are Maths and English.
    Young people should concentrate on Maths just because every branch of science relies on Maths today. Firstly, if you want to study something related to physics, chemistry, electronics, engineering you have to study Maths a lot, in order to acquire that rationalistic mindset that you need to understand science. Secondly, you'll learn how to focus your attention on something which seems very hard and this is certainly an important thing in the everyday life.
    Then you have to study English because it's simply the world language. With the help of english you can interact with people from all over the world to solve problems, learn new things, stay tuned with the news, just with an internet connection.
    At the end, I'm sure that Maths and English are the most important subjects because they're the most modern and useful.
    I don't have any teacher or tutor, I'm trying to study for FCE by myself.

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    A couple of comments- there are a few errors (english) and some phrases that are not particularly natural (rationalistic mindset), but the general standard is good and fine for FCE.

    PS If it's meant to be formal writing, I would avoid contractions like I'm/you'll.

  4. #4
    mznm is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    there are a few errors (english)
    Could you correct them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    and some phrases that are not particularly natural (rationalistic mindset)
    how would you say it?

    thanks a lot for your suggestions

  5. #5
    shur2gal's Avatar
    shur2gal is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    Usually, people say "Math" over "Maths." Saying "I think" makes you sound unsure of yourself, and if you are writing an essay, this is the worst thing you could possibly do. Say, "The most important," since it makes you sound more firm in your position. Just pointing out that saying Math is important only to understand science is rather a poor argument because it makes it seem that you feel science itself is more important than Math and that you feel that Math is a necessary skill and nothing more, when Math has many practical uses (like bills and groceries). "Young people" is something elderly people would say and it's also quite basic. Try something like, "teenagers" or "children" to further specify age group. Avoid the transition "First" like the plague. You have decent amounts of support, but I would try to further improve specificity and details to make your argument stronger.

    There are some (even if grammatically correct) phrases that are odd. Mostly just repetitive or redundant words. Try reading it again. I'm sure you'll catch them! :)

    - An English Native Student :D

  6. #6
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by shur2gal View Post
    Usually, people say "Math" over "Maths."
    Not in BrE. 'Maths' is the standard BrE form.
    Saying "I think" makes you sound unsure of yourself, and if you are writing an essay, this is the worst thing you could possibly do.
    Many people use 'I think' in the sense of 'I believe'.
    "Young people" is something elderly people would say and it's also quite basic.
    I don't agree.
    Avoid the transition "First" like the plague.
    You've said this in another thread. Many learners are taught to use such transitions, and they are a normal part of speech and writing.
    An English Native Student
    You say in your profile that you are an 'academic'. We normally use this word a person who is engaged in research/writing/teaching at a postgraduate level, not of a student.

  7. #7
    mznm is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by shur2gal View Post
    There are some (even if grammatically correct) phrases that are odd. Mostly just repetitive or redundant words. Try reading it again. I'm sure you'll catch them! :)

    - An English Native Student :D
    I've read it a lot of times. If you tell me what's wrong, I can understand the problem.

  8. #8
    mznm is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    As for "I think...", my First Complete Certificate recommends expressing opinions that way. I don't know if Cambridge University is wrong about its own exam or about english language...

  9. #9
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    I disagree with shur2gal. There's nothing wrong with saying I think when it is used to distinguish an opinion from a fact. However, when it is overused, it is a waste of words. Some people use it several times an essay, and that is a waste of words.

  10. #10
    shur2gal's Avatar
    shur2gal is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: FCE writing: good enough?

    I apologize for the late response. Now for the literacy autopsy.

    I agree with Tdol in the respect that "I think" and "I believe" is okay when distinguishing an opinion from a fact, but there is something missing. An essay is an opinion, so there are very few cases where "I think" would be necessary since saying "Math is necessary" and saying "I think Math is necessary" are both opinions when used in an essay, and taking out "I think" establishes confidence on the writer's stand point whereas saying "I think" makes essay writing weaker, if only slightly.

    I'm unfamiliar with BrE so I apologize, but it's also true that one would generally say "Math." Getting used to the natural way of saying it won't do any harm.

    "Young People" works, and it doesn't sound unnatural, but using teenager or child is more natural since it's more commonly used.

    My High School offers Post Graduate courses, which I take. Not sure which category to go with, but going with Student / Learner because that is what I technically should be.

    The transition "First," "Second, and "Third" can only be used if they are making transitions for an essay in chronological order. This essay, and the one in my previous post do not fit this type of essay and are incorrect. I usually tell people to avoid them since most people make this mistake, but I will refrain from correcting non-natives if that is what the community wishes.

    So there's your autopsy. You can bag it and tag it.
    Last edited by shur2gal; 29-Apr-2013 at 01:01. Reason: I type fast and make repetitive grammar errors ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2013, 16:03
  2. Could you recommend a good book for FCE?
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2012, 22:08
  3. [Essay] FCE writing (please help!!!)
    By Malissa in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2010, 13:13
  4. FCE Writing
    By annlee in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2009, 22:35
  5. Check my FCE writing
    By l'dinka in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2007, 01:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •