• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

Default part of an essay about tourism.

Hello everyone,

I wrote an essay about tourism, and my tutor read it. he told me afterwards that part has no problems, but I guess it's unnatural. I would like to red your comments.

Tourists spend millions of hard currency providing employment and a tax base for reinvestment in infrastructure. Since hospitality jobs require some education, governments cultivating tourism tend to develop primary education, too. Also, it's an outstanding way to highlight the beauty of one's place as well as gaining the world's interest in it.

I appreciate your work. Thanks.
    I wish I had better English, but I work hard to improve it. I'm studying for IGCSE, so I'm only interested in BrE.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: part of an essay about tourism.

Quote Originally Posted by saloom2 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I wrote an essay about tourism (no comma required) and my tutor read it. He told me afterwards that part has no problems, but I guess it's unnatural. I would like to read your comments.

Tourists spend millions of hard currency providing employment and a tax base for reinvestment in infrastructure. Since hospitality jobs require some education, governments cultivating tourism tend to develop primary education, too. Also, it's an outstanding way to highlight the beauty of one's place as well as gaining the world's interest in it.

I appreciate your work. Thanks.
    Why do you think it's unnatural if your tutor told you there were no problems?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

saloom2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, he isn't a native speaker as well as not reading my articles that well. So, just for emphasis.
    I wish I had better English, but I work hard to improve it. I'm studying for IGCSE, so I'm only interested in BrE.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saloom2 View Post
    Actually, he isn't a native speaker as well as not reading my articles that well. So, just for emphasis.
    Ah, that explains it. I thought it was a little odd that he had told you there were no problems with your paragraph.

Tourists spend millions of hard currency dollars/pounds/yen etc providing employment and a tax base for reinvestment in infrastructure. Since hospitality jobs require some a certain level of education, governments cultivating tourism tend to develop primary education (no comma required) too. Also, it's an outstanding way to highlight the beauty of one's a place/country/city as well as gaining attracting the world's interest in it.
    I have made some amendments above. However, I'm not really sure what your first sentence means. When tourists spend money, they don't do it in order to provide employment and to provide a tax base for reinvestment in infrastructure (whatever that last part means). Tourists spend money to have a good time. The fact that jobs are created etc is a side-effect of the tourists spending their money.

We don't say "millions of hard currency". You either need to specify the actual currency or just say "Tourists spend millions providing employment" (bear in mind my previous comments about the fact that they don't provide​ employment).
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

saloom2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I mean tourists spend money to have a good time. That money is used to provide employment and a tax base. How should I write it?