[Grammar] Noun clause "That". It turned out (that) she.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I want to know if noun clause 'that' must be included in sentences or it's always optional and more formal.

For example,

It turned out that she had not gone back home and stayed outside.
the ball possession of both teams demonstrates how bad the teams are this match.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

I want to know if noun clause 'that' must be included in sentences or it's always optional and more formal.

For example,

It turned out that she had not went back home and stayed outside.
the ball possession of both teams demonstrates how bad the teams are this match.

Look at the words I have marked in red. What tense do you think this is? Can you find "had went" or "had not went" for me anywhere in a table of conjugation of verbs?

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I should go to sleep, I guess.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
If you would like to answer me, you could. I'm focusing pretty well right now.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

For example,

1. It turned out that she had not gone back home and stayed outside.
2. The ball possession of both teams demonstrates how bad the teams are this match.

Welcome back. I hope you've had a nice sleep!

I am a little confused by your question. You have given two example sentences. The first contains the word "that" - it is optional. The second sentence does not contain the word "that". However, I'm interested to know where you think the word "that" should go in sentence 2.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, You can forget about the second sentence because 'that' cannot be added here. Anyway, my question exactly is about whether that is always optional or sometimes it must be in the sentence, like " it's her contention (that) no one should be in the school right now' 'the figures show (that) the prices have hiked up by almost 50%.' After studying, I understood that 'that' must be in the sentence when there's an abstract noun like 'contention', but any other point s still ambiguous to me because it's not expressed well in the book.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, You can forget about the second sentence because 'that' cannot be added here. Anyway, my question exactly is about whether that is always optional or sometimes it must be in the sentence, like " it's her contention (that) no one should be in the school right now' 'the figures show (that) the prices have hiked up by almost 50%.' After studying, I understood that 'that' must be in the sentence when there's an abstract noun like 'contention', but any other point s still ambiguous to me because it's not expressed well in the book.
No, it's not always optional. Put "that" in if its omission leads to the sentence being misinterpreted.
Abstract nouns can't be the determiner. "It was her habitual happiness he liked".
Don't omit 'that' if it's followed by what could otherwise be the object of the verb, especially in a long sentence.
"The figures show the prices of vegetables, fruit and meat for January, 2013, have risen 50%". The reader could reasonably be expecting the figures to show the prices of vegetables, fruit and meat for January, 2013 - until they get to the end, where the meaning changes. In this case, I always use "that" to indicate immediately that "the figures show something about XYZ" rather than "the figures show XYZ".

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, thanks first for your response. Second Could it be "The figures show, the prices of vegetables, fruit and meat for January, 2013, have risen 50%" comma could mean here that?
Third, to sum up, when it is a long sentence, we shouldn't remove it. And that make a pause, doesn't it?. An abstract nouns can't be the determiner (How would I know that?).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could it be "The figures show, the prices of vegetables, fruit and meat for January, 2013, have risen 50%" comma could mean here that?
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.