Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Dear teachers,

Would you please correct my exercise ?

A trip to Florida
Tomorrow I (1 leave) am leaving for my holiday. I (2 take) am taking the 14.20 flight from Gatwick for Orlando, Florida. When I (3 be) am in Florida, I (4 do) shall do / am going to do (both possible?) lots of sightseeing. Of course, I (5 arrange + already) have already arranged to visit Disney World. I (6 be) shall be / am to be / am going to be there on Friday – three days from now.
So, by 15.00 hours tomorrow, I (7 fly) shall / will be flying over the Atlantic. The plane (8 cruise) will be cruising at about 40,000 feet. All the passengers (9 watch) will be watching the in-flight film, or perhaps we (10 eat) will be eating. The flight (11 take) takes exactly six hours, so by 19.30 (that’s 7.30 in the evening) we (12 travel) will have travelled for more than five hours and I think maybe we (13 modal + see) would have been able to see America already. By 20.30, we (14 arrive) will have arrived.

[by here means before or at ?]

Apart from Disneyland, I have decided that I (15a) am going to visit a famous Florida dolphinarium and (15b) see the trained dolphins. And I (16 have) have a cousin in Miami, so I (17 spend) am going to spend the weekend with him and his family. He (18 promise) promised / has promised that we (19 visit) would visit the famous Everglades, where I assume I (20 see) will see crocodiles – or is it alligators? Finally, on the day before my return, I (21 have) will have lunch with the famous American crime writer, Elmore Leonard, though how this is possible is a story in itself!
In all, I (22 stay) will be staying for ten days. So by this time next week, I (23 spend) will have spent at least a thousand pounds! I (24 return) shall return with several rolls of film for developing because I (25 take) am going to take photos everywhere I go, and I (26 use) am not going to use my digital camera.

[is for correct here?]

Thank you very much for your help.
Hela

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Asselama, Hela! Where are you from in Tunisia? I taught English in Sousse several years ago, and worked with some wonderful colleagues!

Your verbs are almost 100% correct. :) Here are the only ones I could find to comment on:

4 - Yes, both possible (I think - we Americans don't use shall)
7 - Shall doesn't work here; your other answer is correct
12 - Your answer works, but will have been traveling is better.
13 - Not would; may or might are better.

I think that's all! And your prepositions are also correct (by/for). By in this case means "not later than".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hela, in future, please post this sort of stuff in the Editing & Writing Topics forum.

I'm moving it now.

Rover

hela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Hello Mayita1usa,

I'm from the capital. Glad to know that there are teachers in this forum who know my country. :-D

In 13 is "could" possible together with "may" and "might" ? = "I think maybe we (13 modal + see) could / may / might have seen America already."

Would you please tell me why it's not possible to write :

(7 + 22) I shall be flying / (22) I shall be staying / (10) we shall be eating

(12) we shall have been travelling (this sounds odd, I do admit)

(14) we shall have arrived (this one too) / (23) I shall have spent (but not this one) :-?

I've found a series of exercises without answers, would you mind if I sent them to you and your colleagues for correction?

All the best,
Hela

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.