Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can someone help me to understand the difference between till and until in a simple way? Please guide me with some examples.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Apart from the fact that some people think 'till' is more informal, there is no difference. I have just told you that in the other forum.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
T​heir meanings are identical. "Till" is, effectively, an abbreviation of "until". The only difference, in my opinion, is that "till" is not normally used in formal speech or writing.

krishanu05

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
T​heir meanings are identical. "Till" is, effectively, an abbreviation of "until". The only difference, in my opinion, is that "till" is not normally used in formal speech or writing.

I am sorry not to agree with you. Actually 'till' is not the abbreviation form of 'until'. Till is much older word than until. Just look up on internet, you will find it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am sorry not to agree with you. Actually 'till' is not the abbreviation form of 'until'. Till is much older word than until. Just look up on internet, you will find it.
If you know that, then I am surprised you needed to ask the original question. I would have thought that you would have found the answer on the internet.

krishanu05

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If you know that, then I am surprised you needed to ask the original question. I would have thought that you would have found the answer on the internet.

Before asking this question, I searched on internet and came across the matter I had said. But I did not get it clearly. So I need some more examples.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, let's forget the part about it (not) being an abbreviation. The rest of my post stands. My advice is that you don't use "till" in formal writing.

Perhaps next time you have researched something on the net before posting here, you could actually mention what you found out in post #1 so that we understand what you might or might not already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.