• Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default conked it on his own

Hello teachers,

I am reading an W. Trevor story - A bit of business.

Two petty criminals went into Mr Livingston's house to rob. They found him watching TV then they warned him to stay quiet and tied him up in to his chair using ties. Before leaving the house, they partially choked Mr Livingston as a warning not to say anything by placing a tie round his neck and pulled two ends tight for a while.

Below was what the criminal thought after left the house couple of hours. He basically regrets not kill him first.

'Another couple of pulls of the tie, Mangan said to himself, and who’d have been the wiser? You get to that age, you’d had your life anyway. As it was, the old geezer had probably conked it on his own, tied up like that. Most likely he was stiffening already.'

Please could someone tell me what is meaning of underlined words. I do not find 'Conk on' in any dictionary. Without knowing this meaning, I do not understand meaning of 'stiffening' either.

Thanks for your time.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: conked it on his own

Quote Originally Posted by Quang Hai View Post
    As it was, the old geezer had probably conked it on his own, tied up like that. Most likely he was stiffening already.'
    As it was, the old guy would probably have died without our help, tied up in that way. He was probably becoming stiff (with rigor mortis) already.

Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: conked it on his own

Quote Originally Posted by Quang Hai View Post
    Hello teachers,

I am reading an W. Trevor story - A bit of business.

Two petty criminals went into Mr Livingston's house to rob. They found him watching TV then they warned him to stay quiet and tied him up in to his chair using ties. Before leaving the house, they partially choked Mr Livingston as a warning not to say anything by placing a tie round his neck and pulled two ends tight for a while.

Below was what the criminal thought after left the house couple of hours. He basically regrets not kill him first.

'Another couple of pulls of the tie, Mangan said to himself, and who’d have been the wiser? You get to that age, you’d had your life anyway. As it was, the old geezer had probably conked it on his own, tied up like that. Most likely he was stiffening already.'

Please could someone tell me what is meaning of underlined words. I do not find 'Conk on' in any dictionary. Without knowing this meaning, I do not understand meaning of 'stiffening' either.

Thanks for your time.
    To conk = to die
    On his own = alone

Note that you need "a" before "W. Trevor story", not "an". Also, you should capitalise all the main words of the book's title: A Bit of Business
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.