Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I have studied English with a teacher but now I am trying to improve my English alone without any helping except the Internet, so I do not have a teacher. I choose some exercises from Internet or books to answer them.
This exercise about articles. I complete it by using the, a, or an so can you correct it, please.
:)

How to Make _a_ Campfire
Begin by choosing _the_ best spot for your fire. Make sure your fire is _a_ safe distance from _the_ tents.

Find _a_ right fuel for your fire. _The__ three main types of natural fuel are tinder (material that burns easily, such as shavings whittled from _the_ stick), kindling (larger material such as twigs), and fire wood (dry branches that will be _the_ main fuel of your fire).

Arrange the wood in the shape of _a__ pyramid over_the_ tinder. Light the tinder and add kindling as needed. Add the larger branches last. Never leave _the_ fire unattended.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have studied English with a teacher but now I am trying to improve my English alone without any [STRIKE]helping [/STRIKE] help except the Internet, so I do not have a teacher. I choose some exercises from the Internet [STRIKE]or [/STRIKE]and books to answer them.
This exercise is about articles. I complete it by using the, a, or an [STRIKE]so [/STRIKE]can you correct it, please.:) ("can" refers to an ability - Yes, I can answer - I have the ability. You should ask, "would you correct it")

How to make _a_ campfire (Yes, "a" is correct)
Begin by choosing _the_ best spot for your fire. (Yes, "the" is correct)
Make sure your fire is _a_ safe distance from _the_ tents. (Yes, "a" and "the" are correct)

Find _a_ right fuel for your fire. (No, we use "the" here)
The three main types of natural fuel are tinder (material that burns easily, such as shavings whittled from _the_ stick) (No, use "a" unless you are referring to only one stick), kindling (larger material such as twigs), and fire wood (dry branches that will be _the_ main fuel of your fire). (Yes "the" is correct)

Arrange the wood in the shape of _a__ pyramid over_the_ tinder. (Yes, "a" and "the" are correct)

Light the tinder and add kindling as needed. Add the larger branches last. Never leave _the_ fire unattended. ("the" is correct here, but "a" could be used also. "the fire" refers to a particular fire while "a fire" refers to any fire)
Gil

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have studied English with a teacher but now I am trying to improve my English alone without any help[strike]ing[/strike] except the Internet, so I do not have a teacher. I choose [strike]some[/strike] exercises from the Internet or books to answer them.
This exercise is about articles. I completed it by using the, a, or an, so can you correct it[strike],[/strike] please.
Well done on your writing! I'm impressed.

How to make a Campfire.
Begin by choosing the best spot for your fire. Make sure your fire is a safe distance from the tents.

Find the right fuel for your fire.* The three main types of natural fuel are tinder (material that burns easily, such as shavings whittled from a stick**), kindling (larger material such as twigs), and fire wood (dry branches that will be the main fuel of your fire***).

Arrange the wood in the shape of a pyramid over the tinder. Light the tinder and add kindling as needed. Add the larger branches last. Never leave the fire unattended.
* "The right fuel" is specified
** Which particular stick is used is unspecified (and not important)
*** There is only one, definite fuel for the fire

The indefinite article is used to denote general things, not identifiable to the listener, whereas the definite article is used to denote specific things identifiable to the listener & to reference nouns first given with the indefinite article.

[Not a teacher]

Faten.88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you very much for your helping.:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This exercise is about articles. I complete it by using the, a, or an so can you correct it, please.
("can" refers to an ability - Yes, I can answer - I have the ability. You should ask, "would you correct it")
I think most native speakers would find 'can' quite natural here. Some might consider 'would' or 'could' more polite, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.