Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Germany
I looked it up on Longman dictionary. The Maldives "are" threatened by global warming.
Or the Maldives in this sentence referred to people living on the islands.
More ideas?
thank you
doingresearch

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Geography isn't my strong suit [not another clothing-related metaphor, BTW ;-)] but I've always thought the Maldives were a group of islands. That sentence doesn't refer to people; they would be 'the inhabitants of the Maldives'.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The Maldives" is used to refer to the group of islands so it takes the plural. However, the official name is "The Republic of the Maldives" - that would take the singular. The indigenous population are Maldivians or Maldive Islanders.

doingresearch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Germany
Thank you for your answer. But why we use a singular verb for the Philippines, even the country consists of many islands too.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The United States is another example.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you think of '(The) Maldives' as the name of the nation rather than as the geographical group of islands, then the singular verb is possible.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll be honest - most people (in my part of the world) probably have no idea that The Philippines is made up of lots of islands. Most of us think of it as "a country" and therefore probably just one land mass. However, because The Maldives are a regular holiday destination for Brits looking for a tropical island experience, most of us are aware that they are islands.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'll be honest - most people (in my part of the world) probably have no idea that The Philippines is made up of lots of islands. Most of us think of it as "a country" and therefore probably just one land mass. However, because The Maldives are a regular holiday destination for Brits looking for a tropical island experience, most of us are aware that they are islands.
Sad, but probably true. Probably a lot of people don't realise that the Maldives is a nation. :cry:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sad, but probably true. Probably a lot of people don't realise that the Maldives is a nation. :cry:

Also true. I was once taking part in a pub quiz in which the question "Which country do The Maldives belong to?" came up. We could hear other teams frantically running through every country they could think of in fairly close proximity to The Maldives, trying to work it out. Our team (4 immigration staff) sat back quite smugly realising it was a trick question.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"The Maldives" is used to refer to the group of islands so it takes the plural. However, the official name is "The Republic of the Maldives" - that would take the singular. The indigenous population are Maldivians or Maldive Islanders.

I think the question is whether you are referring politically to the country or geographically to the islands and their ecosystems. So, the Maldives is also a country like the United States is, in certain contexts.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the question is whether you are referring politically to the country or geographically to the islands and their ecosystems. So, the Maldives is also a country like the United States is, in certain contexts.

"The Republic of [the] Maldives" is a country in all contexts.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As seen in my examples, I was referring to the question of whether the usage "The Maldives is" or "The Maldives are" is appropriate. Not whether the Republic of the Maldives is or is not a country "in all contexts."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, so you were just giving an example of a sentence using "is" following "The Maldives"! Sorry, I thought you meant "So, the Maldives is also a country like the United States is, in certain contexts" as a statement of fact!

Status
Not open for further replies.