Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I do not know if this is the right section, but I wonder how is it possible to delete a thread. I need to do it because I am applying for two different universities and some of the sentences I used in the motivational letters are similar and I do not what them to think that I copied someone else as I wrote it by myself. How can I delete it?
Thank you very much

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You cannot do it yourself. You would need to get a moderator to do it for you.

This points out an excellent lesson: every word we post on line will survive forever. Even if you succeed in getting a moderator to delete a thread, there are internet archives that have already preserved copies of that thread.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is also the point that we do not delete threads if somebody has taken the time and trouble to post a response that might be helpful to other members. This why why some threads started by people later banned still stand.

@Andrea. I would not worry too much. Most motivational letters are full of standard sentences that many people use, often with minor variations. Unless your original was taken almost straight from some letter-providing site, then it is highly unlikely that anybody will ever discover that you sent two very similar letters to different institutions.

The very worst that can possibly happen is that the two institutions do discover that you have sent virtually identical letters to each of them. That won't surprise them. Everybody does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.