• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default difference between drugstore and pharmacy

What do you think is the difference between drugstore and pharmacy?
    I think "drugstore" sells other stuff except "drugs" with or without a pharmacist, while "pharmacy" is with a pharmacist making prescibed medicine.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: difference between drugstore and pharmacy

keannu, by this time you should know that we are just going to send you to a dictionary and tell you to come back with any problems you encounter.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if everyone could find any word's meaning by dictionary, this site wouldn't exist along with the members and teachers. I googled the difference and got the meaning, but I wasn't sure of it, that's why I asked it.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are Macmillan's definitions.

pharmacy - definition. American English definition of pharmacy by Macmillan Dictionary

drugstore - definition. American English definition of drugstore by Macmillan Dictionary

There are dozens of other dictionaries here that give similar definitions. You really do not need to waste your time and ours asking for confirmation that many dictionaries are correct.

We are happy to help if members have problems in understanding definitions, find dictionary definitions that appear to contradict each other, or are not sure, despite examples in dictionaries, about how they should use words. We are not here to replace dictionaries or confirm their definitions.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

"Googling the difference" is not the same as spending time researching a good variety of trusted dictionaries.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes, dictionaries don't give us practical knowlege or exact answer to my questions, and there are a bunch of dictionaries, which makes it hard for me to choose the best one. I make enough - or sometimes not - research before posting a thread here.
    By referring to the following definitions, I may know the rough difference, but skimming through teachers' this or that opinion makes me fully informed or realize about the answer for any question I posted. I'll try to restrain more not to post unnecessary questions- I have done my best so far, I guess - but I'd like to confess that the explanations of teachers even for easy questions are even more helpful than static, lifeless character definitions of dictionaries.

*Looking at these, I lose the focus of understanding. I think the focus is on drugstore's having extra products, but I wonder if drusgtore has a pharmacist or not. Sometimes dictionaries don't give comparison or analysis to my curiosities, and that's why I depend on teachers here.
    pharmacy a store where medicines are prepared and sold
    drugstore a store that sells medicines, beauty products, and other goods. The usual British word is chemist.

Last edited by keannu; 28-Apr-2013 at 11:41.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what's confusing, though, about those definitions (if you took those definitions from a dictionary). The first one clearly states that medicines are both prepared and sold in a pharmacy. The second makes no mention of preparation, but that it sells medicines and other things.

There is one thing wrong with the second definition. A "chemist's [shop] in the UK has a pharmacist on-site, both to advise customers on over-the-counter medicines and to prepare prescription medication. We don't have two different types of shop doing the same thing. We don't have shops called "drugstores" or "pharmacies" in the High Street. We just have chemists. They are either standalone shops or they are a department of a larger shop.
    Hospitals have pharmacies.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so impressed at your vivid explanation, which helps me a lot to bear definitions of "drugstore" and "pharmacy" in UK in my mind longer than mere dictionary ones.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post

There is one thing wrong with the second definition. A "chemist's [shop] in the UK has a pharmacist on-site, both to advise customers on over-the-counter medicines and to prepare prescription medication. We don't have two different types of shop doing the same thing. We don't have shops called "drugstores" or "pharmacies" in the High Street. We just have chemists. They are either standalone shops or they are a department of a larger shop.
    Hospitals have pharmacies.
    Really? What would you call Supadrug? I wouldn't think of going there to get a prescription made up. I don't know if they even dispense as pharmacists. Although it's in the UK and sells over-the-counter medicines, I wouldn't call it a chemist. In fact the name seems to suggest that this is a new-sounding/American-like thing, rather like a drugstore. (Rather like the cafés that try to make out that they're new-sounding/American-like [and therefore in some sense 'sexy'] by calling themselves 'diners' - when I was a lad a diner was someone eating dinner )

b

Gillnetter is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Really? What would you call Supadrug? I wouldn't think of going there to get a prescription made up. I don't know if they even dispense as pharmacists. Although it's in the UK and sells over-the-counter medicines, I wouldn't call it a chemist. In fact the name seems to suggest that this is a new-sounding/American-like thing, rather like a drugstore. (Rather like the cafés that try to make out that they're new-sounding/American-like [and therefore in some sense 'sexy'] by calling themselves 'diners' - when I was a lad a diner was someone eating dinner )

b
    I would be stretched to find a real difference between a drugstore and a pharmacy. The local drugstore I go to calls itself a pharmacy. Regarding diners, this name is not new or particularly sexy. Diners, in the US, probably were most popular in early years of the 20th Century. Some of the first diners were old train cars. After being sold by the train companies these cars were trucked to a lot and set up as a restaurant. Some companies saw this trend and began making buildings which resembled train cars. These also were trucked to an empty lot and set up as a restaurant. Few of these are still in operation but I know of a few on the east coast and of at least one in Los Angeles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast