Nouns that consist of (verb+preposition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria311

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
I am trying to learn about these nouns but I don't know what they're called.
When someone is looking for something what is the noun used for that? Is it look-out or look-in? I am on the (.....) for the answer? What goes in the gap?
I am trying to think of verbs that go with prepositions to form nouns but online dictionaries aren't helping me because I don't know the proper way to search for them. Do these nouns have a certain name?
Is there a noun than can be formed from (study+preposition)?
I know what output means, but when I say input, does it mean it's something I am putting in something else? Like "my input to the lecture was valuable"? Am I getting it right?

+One more question that's been puzzling me but it's not about that,
when I want to say my apartment is near a garden, do I say it looks down a garden, or it looks over a garden?

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am trying to learn about these nouns but I don't know what they're called.
When someone is looking for something what is the noun used for that? Is it look-out or look-in? I am on the (.....) for the answer? What goes in the gap?
The word that goes in the gap is "lookout" - no hyphen. "To be on the lookout for something" means to be alert for, to keep an eye out for. The noun "lookout" is of course a place where people used to stand to "look out" for invaders. The action is "to look out" but the people and the places became known as "lookouts".

I am trying to think of verbs that go with prepositions to form nouns but online dictionaries aren't helping me because I don't know the proper way to search for them. Do these nouns have a certain name?
In the case of "lookout", although the word came from the phrasal verb "to look out", I wouldn't say that the word "lookout" is exactly "a verb that goes with a preposition".

Is there a noun than can be formed from (study+preposition)?
I don't really understand this question. Do you want to make a word which starts with "study" and ends with a word that happens to be a preposition when used on its own, but the two together make another word?

I know what output means, but when I say input, does it mean it's something I am putting in something else? Like "my input to the lecture was valuable"? Am I getting it right?
Your input in a lecture is your contribution. If you sat through a lecture, didn't ask any questions and didn't say a word, you gave no input at all.

+One more question that's been puzzling me but it's not about that,
when I want to say my apartment is near a garden, do I say it looks down a garden, or it looks over a garden?
This is not connected to the rest of your post. Please start a new thread for this question. It gets far too confusing to have unconnected questions in one thread.

Thank you

See above, in red.

Maria311

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
"I don't really understand this question. Do you want to make a word which starts with "study" and ends with a word that happens to be a preposition when used on its own, but the two together make another word?"

It either starts with study and ends with a preposition, or the other way around. And they should together form a noun, I couldn't guess any.

I will post my last question in a new thread, thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't think of any. Why do you need one?

Maria311

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
I remember reading something like this somewhere, it was related to kings or presidents' helpers or something. I am trying to remember the word, I may be mistaken after all.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the late sixties and early seventies, the sit-in became a commonplace of student politics (it was the occupation by protesters of some area of a building usually controlled by the authorities). And when you stay in bed for a while after you wake up i's called a lie-in. So I suppose if a number of people got together to study (before an exam, say), it would make sense to call it a 'study-in'; but I've never heard or used it.

b

Maria311

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
In the late sixties and early seventies, the sit-in became a commonplace of student politics (it was the occupation by protesters of some area of a building usually controlled by the authorities). And when you stay in bed for a while after you wake up i's called a lie-in. So I suppose if a number of people got together to study (before an exam, say), it would make sense to call it a 'study-in'; but I've never heard or used it.

b

Thank you very much.
I'm not sure it is the word that's in my head. I believe I read about it, it was to describe the job of the vice-president in relation to the president himself. I think a noun was used with the word study, maybe it wasn't with a preposition but I'm sure I heard the word study joined by another word to form a noun. >_<
By the way, is the word "kickoff" as in the start of something used in proper English or only in informal language?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you sure you're not thinking of "stand-in". That's a person who does someone else's job for a limited period of time.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Sounds likely.

And 'kickoff', meaning beginning, is informal. Another related usage - even more informal - is the euphemistic 'it all kicked off' [a fight started].

b

Status
Not open for further replies.