Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

Does this sentence sound natural?

Every year, schools only throw about seventy thousands bottle, paper and cans. To tackle this problem, we should place bins in places where rubbish are thrown excessively so that we can sort it out and give them to the local factory, which can take advantage of.

What's the name of the man who clean the streets?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your sentences (there are two of them) do not sound natural.

A street cleaner.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Every year, Schools only throw about seventy thousands bottle, paper and cans. To tackle this problem, we should place box in places where those precious rubbish are thrown excessively so that we can sort it out and grant them to the local factory, which it can take advantage of.

I have marked in red each error. These include errors in choice of verb, singular/plural, choice of word and word order.

Your question should read "What's the name of the man who cleans the streets?" In answer to that question, in my area, he's called Pete. ;-)

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Done, but I don't know what use instead of precious.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by schools "throwing" paper and cans? Seventy thousand what? Why is that "only"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Throw" was one of the verbs I marked in red. It is the wrong verb. You could use "discard" but there is a more commonly used choice. It is a phrasal verb. The first word is "throw" and it is followed by a preposition. Can you work out what it is?

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I mean from only schools. You know throw rubbish into bins and then school threw it away. Instead, school should take advantage of it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't find a way to help you guess this part so I will tell you. "Every year, schools alone [insert the phrasal verb I talked about in post #6] seventy thousand bottles, cans and pieces of paper.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, get rid of, throw away, take away/off. it's nice that you have asked me that question. Even though I know the word pretty well, I don't know why I haven't used it. It always happens to me every time I write.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, get rid of, throw away, take away/off. it's nice that you have asked me that question. Even though I know the word pretty well, I don't know why I haven't used it. It always happens to me every time I write.

"Get rid of" is OK if a little informal. "Take away/off" do not work at all. "Throw away" is what I was trying to lead you to. Well done.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Every year, Schools only throw about seventy thousands bottle, paper and cans. To tackle this problem, we should place box in places where those precious rubbish are thrown excessively so that we can sort it out and grant them to the local factory, which it can take advantage of.

I can't find a way to help you guess this part so I will tell you. "Every year, schools alone [insert the phrasal verb I talked about in post #6] seventy thousand bottles, cans and pieces of paper.
Why has the first letter of the word school been capitalized then written in a lower case, please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I marked the capital "S" in red to show that it was an error. As I explained, I marked all the errors in red. I did not correct them.

Status
Not open for further replies.