Thread: present future

Post Thanks / Like

Default present future

I have twice tried to ask this in ask a teacher, but for some reason the posts won't register so trying here.
    I've been looking on line for the grammar around perfect future.. I came up with:- will have + past participle. Then there was an example.
    "I am going to have perfected my English, by the time I return from the U.S." Is this also correct?
    "I will have perfected my English etc. sounds much better to me..

CitySpeak Guest

Default Re: present future

Quote Originally Posted by valtango
    I have twice tried to ask this in ask a teacher, but for some reason the posts won't register so trying here.
    I've been looking on line for the grammar around perfect future.. I came up with:- will have + past participle. Then there was an example.
    "I am going to have perfected my English, by the time I return from the U.S." Is this also correct?
    "I will have perfected my English etc. sounds much better to me..
    Yes, it is "will have + past participle". It can also be "will have + been + present participle". The second one is future perfect progressive/continuous. I, also, do not care very much for using "be going to" as a future perfect form. It's a grammatical possibility, but I don't think it's too common. Using "will" sounds more natural to me.

This is my way of defining "future perfect".

· Future Perfect Aspect

· Future Perfect Continuous/Progressive Aspect

We can think of the future perfect and future perfect progressive/continuous as follows:

1. The future perfect expresses future events and actions in relationship to other future events and actions.

2. The future perfect shows how one event or action in the future corresponds in time to another event or action in the future.

· The future perfect is used when we want to show how one event in the future is related to another event in the future.

· There is often some sort of reason for wanting to compare when one thing will happen to when another thing will happen.

· The events to take place may be thought of as important in some way by both the speaker and the listener.

· The events to take place don’t have to, necessarily, be important.

· When using the future perfect, it is often possible to use another future form to express the same thing. It is the importance of how two events coincide with each other that often compels the speaker to use the future perfect or the future perfect progressive/continuous.

Future Perfect Aspect Examples

The elevator was out of order Monday night. There was a sign that instructed us to use the staircase, but the door to the staircase was locked. Someone came down at about 6:25 and we were able to go up to the second floor. If the elevator is not repaired by Wednesday, we have to be sure that the door to the staircase is not locked.

· Hopefully, they’ll have fixed the elevator by then.

· Hopefully, the elevator will have been fixed by Wednesday.

CitySpeak Guest

Even though you want to ask a teacher, it is still a grammar topic. That's probably why, I think, you were able to post it here but not there.

8) :)

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CitySpeak

Even though you want to ask a teacher, it is still a grammar topic. That's probably why, I think, you were able to post it here but not there.

Um, not exactly. It was probably a problem with the server that resolved itself by the time she tried it the third time.

:wink:

CitySpeak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by CitySpeak

Um, not exactly. It was probably a problem with the server that resolved itself by the time she tried it the third time.

:wink:

I see. 8)

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the server has been playing up recently.
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Hahaha, ok, thanks a lot for the help anyway.