Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
When to Rely on Your Wife
Sarah’s Courage: Lesson 2

By Chana Weisberg

"In other words, Rashi explaining that every time Pharaoh or any member of his household wanted to come close to Sarai in inappropriate way, she would instruct the angel to strike him and her personal angel followed her ... every ..."
When to Rely on Your Wife - Sarah?s Courage: Lesson 2 - Sarah's Courage

Will you please tell me what comes after the word every? It is at (04:38). Checking OnLook Dictionary and found this word bidding, but I am still not sure. Also, if it were at every bidding, did Weisberg utter at here?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
... her personal angel followed her every bidding ...

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's just a slightly literary way of using every: 'He will follow your every step', for example, means 'Every step you make, he will follow'. There are a few words that are particularly drawn to this construction: here are the first few hit in BNC:
1 HIS EVERY WORD 22
2 HIS EVERY MOVE 21
3 HIS EVERY MOVEMENT 11
4 THEIR EVERY MOVE 10
5 YOUR EVERY MOVE 7
6 HIS EVERY ACTION 4
7 YOUR EVERY NEED 4
8 YOUR EVERY DAY 3
9 THEIR EVERY NEED 3
10 THEIR EVERY MOVEMENT 3
11 MY EVERY MOVE 3
12 MY EVERY STEP 3
13 OUR EVERY ACTION 3
14 ITS EVERY ASPECT 3
15 HIS EVERY WHIM 3
Six of those involve move or movement. There are 215 hits in all; most of them are represented by only one hit, whereas the first 5 account for almost exactly a third of the total.

Going into more detail, just looking at the first one, here are the first few hits:

1 ATE W_fict_prose A B C .' He spoke quietly but such was the tension in the church, his every word could be heard quite distinctly. There was only the hint of a similar
2 BPD W_fict_prose A B C the Worm's tracks -- men headed by Ray Shepherd. Ho hung on his every word, looking terrified as Jack's fantastic story unfolded.' Do you believe
3 CN3 W_fict_prose A B C , gazing at him, anxious to convey the impression they were hanging on his every word. There was not a man present who had not stepped over bodies of
4 FU8 W_fict_prose A B C elephant. Her eyes sparkled afresh at each new revelation and she hung on his every word, but his lean face remained expressionless, his eyes unchangingly distant. "
5 G04 W_fict_prose A B C lavish presents. In return they suck up to him, hanging on to his every word, laughing on cue. You know the kind. It's sickening.
6 G0P W_fict_prose A B C his seat, seeing how intently Donna was looking at him, hanging on his every word. She glanced irritably at the waiter, barely resisting the urge, it
7 HGT W_fict_prose A B C quite pathetic, Robyn thought, demeaning, the way she hangs on to his every word, flirts so outrageously with him. He's not taking any more notice
8 HTG W_fict_prose A B C me, it comes of hanging around too long with Glastonbury, who regards his every word as wise or witty. I've never seen anyone so besotted.'
9 HTU W_fict_prose A B C gasoline and stretch Cadillacs. 26. And the children of Elvis did hang on his every word. And when he had spoken they did hasten unto Kuwait, Saudi Arabia
10 JXS W_fict_prose A B C reminded her of herself. Once, she, too, had hung on his every word and beamed with happiness just at the sight of him. Once, she...
I'm not an expert in BNC's categories, but I assume that W_fict_prose marks prose fiction of some kind:)

See more here.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.