Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Offroad's Avatar
    Offroad is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question 'ize vs ise' again

    Hi all,

    I know this may have been discussed before but I did search the forums and couldn't find an answer for my question:

    Is the 'ise' variant dying?

    I would like to start by saying I do not want to raise dispute between speakers of English, nor do I mean one English is more correct than the other. In fact, and unfortunately, I use both, and that has become a 'problem' for me, not to say a bit of a nightmare. From time to time I have to write formal documents and I tend to mix both 'Englishes', which is not acceptable. So every time I have to compose something, I need to carefully proofread the entire document with the help of a word processor, but even with help, some words here and there get lost between those differences (ise vs ize, -rol vs -roll, 'in' vs 'on' etc). And the reason I am raising this question is that even the British dictionaries prefer the 'ize' variant while I do not (no disrespect intended ). It is really hard for me to migrate to AmE (or any other similar, Australian, Canadian etc) because most words I can spell are in British English.

    So, I would like your thoughts on this.

    Thank you.

    Offroad

  2. #2
    Amigos4's Avatar
    Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    31,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 'ize vs ise' again

    Offroad, as long as you are consistent with your spelling, I do not see a problem. You said, 'most words I can spell are in British English', so why would you want to change your spelling preference? Stick with BrE because that is what feels right to you! Native speakers of AmE will immediately know, and accept, the fact that you have BrE training.

    Cheers,
    A4

  3. #3
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 'ize vs ise' again

    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
    And the reason I am raising this question is that even the British dictionaries prefer the 'ize' variant
    Dictionaries published by Oxford prefer z, (except when only s is correct) and there is a reason for this. Many other British dictionaries favour s. The simple answer for you is to select one online dictionary that uses the system you are happy with, and check with that dictionary every time you are in doubt.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  4. #4
    probus's Avatar
    probus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 'ize vs ise' again

    Are you a Windows user? If so, you can go to Control Panel and select English(United Kingdom) in the Regional and Language Options, when you are working in English.

    Secondly, do you use MS-Word? If so, of course the spell check will use whatever language you have selected in Control panel. If there are cases where MS-Word believes that the BrE usage is -ize, but you are certain that -ise is also acceptable, you can add the -ise form to your personal dictionary, by clicking the Add button in spellchecker. I imagine other word processor for Windows would work the same way.

  5. #5
    Offroad's Avatar
    Offroad is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 'ize vs ise' again

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Offroad, as long as you are consistent with your spelling, I do not see a problem. You said, 'most words I can spell are in British English', so why would you want to change your spelling preference? Stick with BrE because that is what feels right to you! Native speakers of AmE will immediately know, and accept, the fact that you have BrE training.
    Cheers,
    A4
    Ha. That is the most difficult part because neither word processors nor dictionaries can read my mind. So I often say, for example, `in`, instead of `on`.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Dictionaries published by Oxford prefer z, (except when only s is correct) and there is a reason for this. Many other British dictionaries favour s. The simple answer for you is to select one online dictionary that uses the system you are happy with, and check with that dictionary every time you are in doubt.
    I bought the OALD8. I guess Cambridge dictionaries behave similarly?!
    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    Are you a Windows user? If so, you can go to Control Panel and select English(United Kingdom) in the Regional and Language Options, when you are working in English.

    Secondly, do you use MS-Word? If so, of course the spell check will use whatever language you have selected in Control panel. If there are cases where MS-Word believes that the BrE usage is -ize, but you are certain that -ise is also acceptable, you can add the -ise form to your personal dictionary, by clicking the Add button in spellchecker. I imagine other word processor for Windows would work the same way.
    I have done that already, it helps!

Similar Threads

  1. ise vs ize
    By Hartwood in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2004, 07:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk