Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
actually I wanted to know the word use here by/from with these sentence .
Sure you do. But this is great; I think we should keep going and try for the longest pointless thread award, or the greatest number of times an OP has to thank everyone and say their query is solved before the thread ends. It might be difficult though, because the only real question is whether 'by' or 'from' is correct, and that was answered in the first reply.

So, I'll go first. Did you mean 'want' or 'wanted'? That is, do you understand yet whether 'by' or 'from' should be used here?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sure you do.
Do you think that it is acceptable to omit the "I am" there?

Or perhaps you meant "we are"?

Is this a case of ellipsis?

Should I have phrased the question in my last sentence as, "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?"

Should "we" in the last two questions have a capital W?

In my question "Should I have phrased the question in my last sentence as, "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?"", should the "we are" be inside single or double quotation marks?

Is the comma obligatory before "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?" in "Should I have phrased the question in my last sentence as, "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?"

Is the word "obligatory" in my last question in the right place, or should it go after "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?" in "Should I have phrased the question in my last sentence as, "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?"?

Is the punctuation in my sentences above correct?

Thank you in advance for your lengthy and detailed responses.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do you think that it is acceptable to omit the "I am" there?

Or perhaps you meant "we are"?

Is this a case of ellipsis?

Yes, I meant, "Yes I am sure that is what you want to know." Yes, it's ellipted. (Is it 'ellipted' or 'ellipsed'?)

Should I have phrased the question in my last sentence as, "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?"

No, I think it's OK not to use full sentences in informal settings.

Should "we" in the last two questions have a capital W?
Optional

In my question "Should I have phrased the question in my last sentence as, "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?"", should the "we are" be inside single or double quotation marks?
I usually alternate double and single.

Is the comma obligatory before "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?" in "Should I have phrased the question in my last sentence as, "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?"
No

Is the word "obligatory" in my last question in the right place, or should it go after "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?" in "Should I have phrased the question in my last sentence as, "Did you perhaps mean "we are"?"?
I think it's in the right place.

Is the punctuation in my sentences above correct?

Thank you in advance for your lengthy and detailed responses.
I wouldn't use two question marks in the antepenultimate sentence. Why is this editor flagging 'antepenultimate' as being wrong?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for that response, Ray. I hope to be back soon with another effort to assist you in your "I think we should keep going and try for the longest pointless thread award" attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.