Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
[FONT=&#54620] Please refer to the following essay extracted from a textbook.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&#54620]If you travel to a place you saw in a movie, you will find that very interesting.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#54620]Here are some places that you might be familiar with from seeing them in movies.[/FONT]

[FONT=&#54620]I'd like to omit this part since it introduces several places like Santorini, the Greek island and [/FONT][FONT=&#54620]the "Hallelujah Mountains" in Avatar.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#54620][/FONT]
[FONT=&#54620]There are many places you may feel familiar and may want to visit. Why don't you research these places? [/FONT][FONT=&#54620]Maybe you will find yourself walking around the place in the future.[/FONT]

[FONT=&#54620]I'd like to ask a question concerning this sentence in the text: [/FONT][FONT=&#54620]There are many places you may feel familiar and may want to visit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#54620]I think the writer is trying to say there are some places that look[not feel] familiar to you since you might have seen them in movies and that the places may attract you. If my understanding is correct, I want to rewrite the sentence like this: There may be many places (that) look familiar to you and so attract you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&#54620]Any kind comment will be appreciated. Thanks. [/FONT]

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Your version is much better than the original, but I don't know why you put "that" in parentheses. If you include "that" your sentence is perfect.

I believe you when you say the passage was extracted from a textbook, but I strongly feel that it was written by a non-native speaker. It is hard to determine its meaning, but your guess seems right to me.

Last edited:

yamamoto

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for your quick, kind reply.
As you pointed out, I made a mistake of omitting 'that'. I was confused with the original sentence.

Anyway, thanks again. Have a nice day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.