Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: powered flight

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Posts: 78
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    powered flight

    Hello, everyone!

    DAWN
    The dawn of a period of time or a situation is the beginning of it. [LITERARY]
    We can only guess what went through the mind of a man who could look back to the dawn of powered flight.
    (Collins Dictionary)

    Could you help me to figure this sentence out
    I have a couple of questions
    1) Does "to look back to the dawn of powered flight" mean "inquire into the history of the origination of powered flight ?
    2) AT FIRST a man was supposed to look back and THEN something was supposed to go through her/his mind ? Or vice versa?

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: powered flight

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Sorokin View Post
    Hello, everyone!

    DAWN
    The dawn of a period of time or a situation is the beginning of it. [LITERARY]
    We can only guess what went through the mind of a man who could look back to the dawn of powered flight.
    (Collins Dictionary)

    Could you help me to figure this sentence out
    I have a couple of questions
    1) Does "to look back to the dawn of powered flight" mean "inquire into the history of the origination of powered flight ?
    2) AT FIRST a man was supposed to look back and THEN something was supposed to go through her/his mind ? Or vice versa?

    Thank you.
    Assume that you were born in 1890. You would have been 13 years old in 1903 when the first powered flight took place. Now, assume that it is 1960. You could look back (remember) the first flight and what progress has been made since that flight. What would go through your mind (what would you think about, concerning the first flight and developments in flight since that time)? We can only guess - we have no way of knowing what such a person would think about in 1960 when he reviewed the progress of air travel.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Posts: 78
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: powered flight

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    Assume that you were born in 1890. You would have been 13 years old in 1903 when the first powered flight took place. Now, assume that it is 1960. You could look back (remember) the first flight and what progress has been made since that flight. What would go through your mind (what would you think about, concerning the first flight and developments in flight since that time)? We can only guess - we have no way of knowing what such a person would think about in 1960 when he reviewed the progress of air travel.
    Thank you.
    But you say "remember".
    Assuming that I were born after the first powered flight took place. E.g. in 1960. And in 1980 I started to be interested in the first flight. I couldn't remember that time, I just thought about that time. In this case can we say that I "looked back" ?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: powered flight

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Sorokin View Post
    Thank you.
    But you say "remember".
    Assuming that I were born after the first powered flight took place. E.g. in 1960. And in 1980 I started to be interested in the first flight. I couldn't remember that time, I just thought about that time. In this case can we say that I "looked back" ?
    We can only guess what went through the mind of a man who could look back to the dawn of powered flight.
    This sentence is about a man who was alive at the dawn of this era. You couldn't "look back" to that time since you were not alive then.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] 'he was spinning like a nuclear-powered ?'
    By Olympian in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2011, 11:15
  2. to divert a flight / to interrupt a flight
    By milan2003_07 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2011, 02:35
  3. high-powered meetings
    By okok in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2011, 18:01
  4. The clock is powered by a 1.5-volt battery.
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2009, 05:00
  5. [General] powered by ...
    By Johnny Carter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2009, 22:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •