Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    barbecuete is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Wolof
      • Home Country:
      • Tenerife
      • Current Location:
      • Vanuatu
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default could you evaluate my speech example?

    Dear all,
    I am sorry for this selfish request, but there's no one I could ask now, except for people in the Internet.

    Could you listen to this video and evaluate my accent? What sounds are my biggest problem? I need expert advice.
    Accent tag. Accent identification request. - YouTube

    Could you also recommend a text which I could read for a video? There probably are some texts that are used by specialists to diagnose pronounciation problems.

    And based on my current pronunciation where is it easier for me to move - to an American pronounciation or British or which one?

    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    barbecuete is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Wolof
      • Home Country:
      • Tenerife
      • Current Location:
      • Vanuatu
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    Please.
    Did at least anyone watch the video?

  3. #3
    barbecuete is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Wolof
      • Home Country:
      • Tenerife
      • Current Location:
      • Vanuatu
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    Please. Anyone?

  4. #4
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    As an AmE native speaker, but not an expert on accents I hear a mixture of British/German. But I would add that I think your pronunciation is very good/excellent.

  5. #5
    barbecuete is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Wolof
      • Home Country:
      • Tenerife
      • Current Location:
      • Vanuatu
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    As an AmE native speaker, but not an expert on accents I hear a mixture of British/German. But I would add that I think your pronunciation is very good/excellent.
    Thank you very much for your time!!
    Could you tell me which sounds or deficiencies give my speech this German accent?

    I was well taught in childhood. I should thank my teachers for what you hear now. And now I feel obliged to revise my English not to loose everything. So I really want to know what I'm starting to loose/never knew in Pronounciation.

  6. #6
    SlickVic9000's Avatar
    SlickVic9000 is online now Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    (Not a Teacher)

    Pretty good overall. There were a number of words where you placed the accent on the wrong syllable or used the wrong vowel sound. "Diagnosis", "wrong", "flood", "Lord", "sounds", and "comment" are a few that come to mind. I didn't detect much of an accent. At times it sounded vaguely British, but that's about it.

    Also:
    "lose" = to misplace something; to fail to maintain or preserve something
    "loose" = the opposite of tight; unrestrained

  7. #7
    barbecuete is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Wolof
      • Home Country:
      • Tenerife
      • Current Location:
      • Vanuatu
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic9000 View Post
    (Not a Teacher)

    Pretty good overall. There were a number of words where you placed the accent on the wrong syllable or used the wrong vowel sound. "Diagnosis", "wrong", "flood", "Lord", "sounds", and "comment" are a few that come to mind. I didn't detect much of an accent. At times it sounded vaguely British, but that's about it.

    Also:
    "lose" = to misplace something; to fail to maintain or preserve something
    "loose" = the opposite of tight; unrestrained
    Thank you! It is very helpful.
    But to me it seems almost unreal to correct such problems in pronunciation. I would probably need to review all the words in my vocabulary for correctness of stress and vowels. And I will need someone to listen to my pronounciation of all these words... almost unrealistic :(

  8. #8
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    Quote Originally Posted by barbecuete View Post
    Thank you! It is very helpful.
    But to me it seems almost unreal to correct such problems in pronunciation. I would probably need to review all the words in my vocabulary for correctness of stress and vowels. And I will need someone to listen to my pronounciation of all these words... almost unrealistic :(
    I would say that even among native English speakers i.e. AmE, one would hear little difference between pronunciation of "lose" and "loose" in casual conversation and the average listener would understand the use. So, as they would say in South Philly (Philadelphia) "fuhgedabowdit".


  9. #9
    barbecuete is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Wolof
      • Home Country:
      • Tenerife
      • Current Location:
      • Vanuatu
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    I would say that even among native English speakers i.e. AmE, one would hear little difference between pronunciation of "lose" and "loose" in casual conversation and the average listener would understand the use. So, as they would say in South Philly (Philadelphia) "fuhgedabowdit".

    Bill, I have not studied English for a very long time and now I want to do something for improvement of my pronounciation.
    One simple thing I can do is to find someone just to practice speaking in English. But I want to do something more focused. I notice myself that the sounds I make do not sound very English anymore.

  10. #10
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: could you evaluate my speech example?

    Quote Originally Posted by barbecuete View Post
    Bill, I have not studied English for a very long time and now I want to do something for improvement of my pronounciation.
    One simple thing I can do is to find someone just to practice speaking in English. But I want to do something more focused. I notice myself that the sounds I make do not sound very English anymore.
    Perhaps as an alternative to skype interaction you could visit www.manythings.org that includes Listen & Repeat and Pronunciation exercises. You must know/remember that few, if any, non-native speakers totally lose (there's that word again) their native language accent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please evaluate these questions
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2013, 06:01
  2. can you evaluate my essay please
    By successfpgee in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2009, 20:35
  3. Could you please evaluate my pronunciation?
    By Ov28 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2008, 20:34
  4. critically evaluate
    By viet_ghat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-May-2007, 10:57
  5. Evaluate for
    By nyggus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2006, 20:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •