Re: Participle or Gerund..
I can see why you might want to do this in terms of the labels you use in your own language. I don't really see the benefit of using English terms when, I would guess, over 90% of native speakers have no idea what gerunds and participles are. Of the remaining 10%, only a minority could distinguish between them in a sentence.
Originally Posted by Viktor Sorokin
That may work in this sentence, and indeed in others, but it's not an infallible guide. Slightly more reliable (if you insist on labelling the forms) is that a participle has qualities of both a verb and an adjective; a gerund has qualities of both a verb and a noun.
A participle is more similar to a verb rather than to a noun (unlike a gerund that is more similar to a noun).
Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.