Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello everyone
In After rain (W. Trevor) there is a sentence:
'The fourteenth of February in London was quite as black, and cold, and as wintersome as it was at Allington, and was, perhaps, somewhat more melancholy in its coldness. She has read that bit before and couldn’t settle to it, and cannot now'

Settle to means can not imagine or can not focus on? Please help me out. thanks

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello everyone
In After rain (W. Trevor) there is a sentence:
'The fourteenth of February in London was quite as black, and cold, and as wintersome as it was at Allington, and was, perhaps, somewhat more melancholy in its coldness. She has read that bit before and couldn’t settle to it, and cannot now'

Settle to means can not imagine or can not focus on? Please help me out. thanks

There might be some context missing. It could mean she couldn't agree with that proposition. It would be good to know what it means by "She had read that bit before". Is this wintery experience something she's read about, or that she's experiencing. If she's experiencing it, it might mean she couldn't quite get used to it.

PS: "In After Rain, by W. Trevor,"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Wintersome" is not a word that I am aware of. It isn't in dictionary.com either.

Quang Hai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
There might be some context missing. It could mean she couldn't agree with that proposition. It would be good to know what it means by "She had read that bit before". Is this wintery experience something she's read about, or that she's experiencing. If she's experiencing it, it might mean she couldn't quite get used to it.

PS: "In After Rain, by W. Trevor,"

'The fourteenth of February in London was quite as black, and cold, and as wintersome as it was at Allington, and was, perhaps, somewhat more melancholy in its coldness' is a sentence in a novel - The Small house in Allington by Anthony Trollope.
[h=3][/h]"She had read that bit before" and now She is reading this sentence in the book and again she could not settle to it. Do you think it means she does not understand?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Settle to is the same as settle down to. Both mean to begin to give one's attention to.

v. Oxford Learner's Dictionary

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'The fourteenth of February in London was quite as black, and cold, and as wintersome as it was at Allington, and was, perhaps, somewhat more melancholy in its coldness' is a sentence in a novel - The Small house in Allington by Anthony Trollope.
"She had read that bit before" and now She is reading this sentence in the book and again she could not settle to it. Do you think it means she does not understand?
Well, that's certainly a different context! Sorry, I'm not familiar with that term "settle to" used in that context. I don't think I can make sense of it with probus' definition either.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I suppose it means she couldn't settle down to her reading on the second occasion.

Quang Hai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I suppose it means she couldn't settle down to her reading on the second occasion.

I would totally agree with you on the meaning of it. Thanks all for your help and have great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.