Word play, Pun, or Association with something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennnny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello, I am having some difficulty identifying the type of significance of the title of the article

Click here for the article

I am to identify the significance of the title, and what type of language technique it is.

The answer I have come up with is that the title 'Future stock' is a word play on the business term 'Stock Futures', since they are both about preparing for changes in the future.

But would it be defined as a word play? or if it is another type of english language technique.

Any help would be appreciated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

In future, please try to avoid posting links where possible. Some members don't like to click on links from people they don't know, some have very slow internet connections and have to wait ages for links to open, some work on mobiles where it is not very simple to open another page then go back to this one.

If you can type in (or at least copy and paste) a relevant paragraph which gives the phrase and the context, we can work on it direct from your post.

Some people will click on a link but you'll get many more answers and opinions if we don't have to.

Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think there's a play on words with the term Future Shock.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In future, please try to avoid posting links where possible
I agree, if it's necessary to click on the link in order to understand the link. It's fine, in my opinion, to provide a link to full articles or support information. Those readers who are interested and wish to can follow the link. Those who do not wish to can just continue reading the thread.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Welcome to the forum.

In future, please try to avoid posting links where possible. Some members don't like to click on links from people they don't know, some have very slow internet connections and have to wait ages for links to open, some work on mobiles where it is not very simple to open another page then go back to this one.

If you can type in (or at least copy and paste) a relevant paragraph which gives the phrase and the context, we can work on it direct from your post.

Some people will click on a link but you'll get many more answers and opinions if we don't have to.

Thanks.
I really never actually knew this was a problem. It's an html site, not an .exe file. You can see that by a mouse-over.
I've always assumed that posting a link is the most useful context you can give, especially if you're quoting from somewhere.
For example, I always add a link to dictionaries I quote and Wikipedia, and I'd encourage others to do so as well. I hope this doesn't stop learners from posting links to context. Yes, please cite your sources.

However, I agree that it's best to paste the relevant text as well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, yes, I should perhaps have suggested that a link and a copy and paste of the relevant text. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that the links might go to problem sites (.exe for example) but the link could go anywhere. It's very easy to type perfectly innocent text and then get the hyperlink to go to a completely unconnected site, even if that site is a .html site.
I do, however, avoid all posts with links when I'm using the forum on my mobile phone. It's just too convoluted to click the link, wait for my 3G to faff about opening the new page, read the content, close the page and go back to the forum and then reply to the post.

I agree, by the way, that it's a play on "future shock".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, I understand the problem with mobile phones. I would not like this to stop people from posting links though.
Asking for the relevant paragraph to be posted as well, I agree with.

Lennnny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you all for your help!

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks.

I understand, I will post the entire article next time, thank you for explaining.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand, I will post the entire article next time, thank you for explaining.

As you can see from the other posts, it is OK to post links as long as you try to copy and paste the relevant part as well. That way, both people who can click on links and those who can't will be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.