Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
United States
Greetings.
Why [A·mer·i·can], and not [A·me·ri·can], or ['crit·i·cal ], and not ['cri·ti·cal ].
Also a syllable is a word, or part of a word, which contains a single vowel sound. True, but why [bi·o'log·i·cal ], not [bi·o·'log·i·cal ]. Another word it seems as if it should have five syllables instead of four.
Thanks.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Greetings.
Why [A·mer·i·can], and not [A·me·ri·can], or ['crit·i·cal ], and not ['cri·ti·cal ].
Also a syllable is a word, or part of a word, which contains a single vowel sound. True, but why [bi·o'log·i·cal ], not [bi·o·'log·i·cal ]. Another word it seems as if it should have five syllables instead of four.
Thanks.
From a pronunciation standpoint "mer-i" is a better blend than "me-ri" as is "crit-i" rather than "cri-ti". And biological does have 5 syllables.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:
Greetings.

Thanks.

• Where do your syllable-counts come from? Biological does have 5. Possibly whoever counted it as 4 was confused about the difference between a diphthong and a digraph.
  • 'Also a syllable is a word, or part of a word, which contains a single vowel sound.' :-? So what do you do with syllabic nasals? There's a differece between the second syllables of Burton (/bɜ:tən/) and button (/bʌtn/) (I don't know how to get this keyboard to mark syllabic consonants or nasal plosion). (That is, they sound different unless the speaker is Bluebottle ;-))

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
English is a strange hybrid and has to deal with a diverse spectrum of words, from thousands of other languages, but most are from A) Anglo-Saxon > Old English > Middle English > English or B) Latin > Vulgar Latin > Norman French > Middle English > English, with about 45% from each of these two large sources.

However, there is a difference in the proportions we use depending on context. When out playing with the kids, referring to space, time, and concrete objects, I am sure I use 80% Anglo-Saxon words. When discussing politics, the law, philosophy, science, education, or complex topics, I believe the 80/20 rules is reversed, more or less.

Most Anglo-Saxon words are well suited to the syllable convention, as they are often made up of consonant-vowel-consonant syllables, or compounds of such syllables:

wind·ward
book·case
horse
·man

Most of your words are Greek and one is based on a Latin structure.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Greetings.
Thanks.

Look, there are people who put the "I can" into "American", and then there are those who do not. You don't want to be on the wrong side of Liberty, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.