• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expressions in Le Carré (JLC) book: TTSS (tinker, tailor, soldier, spy)

Ref. chapter 21, page 212, JLC wrote:1) "the Russians turned Tarr round. They 've sent his Family over.... Why's it all so hot?What sort of plant can... ? In this context, what is the meaning of: a) to turn someone ROUND; b) sent someone OVER; c)HOT; d) PLANT thank you apulcherio
    Last edited by apulcherio; 13-May-2013 at 17:44. Reason: I forgot to include page number...

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Expressions in Le Carré (JLC) book: TTSS (tinker, tailor, soldier, spy)

Welcome to Using Englsih.

Are the sentences really cut off with the ellipses? If you can give us the complete sentences, and maybe some more context, that would help.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Expressions in Le Carré (JLC) book: TTSS (tinker, tailor, soldier, spy)

It's a while since I read it, but I imagine it means that they persuaded him to change sides and become their agent. If something's hot, it is controversial/dangerous, etc. A plant is someone working for you inside another organisation.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

A plant is also a type of vegetation, or an industrial installation.
    'Hot' can also mean that the temperature is elevated.

Route21 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    A plant is also a type of vegetation, or an industrial installation.
    'Hot' can also mean that the temperature is elevated.
    But very unlikely in TTSS. I would go with Tdol's interpretation, having watched the Tv series a long time ago.

Regards
    R21

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route21 View Post
    I would go with Tdol's interpretation
    So would I, but it would be useful to have some more context to be sure.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route21 View Post
    But very unlikely in TTSS. I would go with Tdol's interpretation, having watched the Tv series a long time ago.

Regards
    R21
    I agree - almost certainly. My post was a comment on the lack of context.
    Wouldn't you think that the fragment "What sort of plant can ..." almost begs to be finished when you're asking what 'plant' means?
    Eg. "What sort of plant can be distilled into the type of poison we need? And what sort of plant do we need to produce it?" asked Smiley.

apulcherio is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I agree - almost certainly. My post was a comment on the lack of context.
    Wouldn't you think that the fragment "What sort of plant can ..." almost begs to be finished when you're asking what 'plant' means?
    Eg. "What sort of plant can be distilled into the type of poison we need? And what sort of plant do we need to produce it?" asked Smiley.
    Thank you all for your cooperation.I did not include the complete sentence because I had imgined it would not be necessary. I was wrong. Here is the complete paragraph: 'All right. The Russians have turned Tarr round (ATTENTION: it´s not AROUND, it really is ROUND. What is that?). They have sent his Family over - God knows why, I'd have thought they put them again in the bank (ADDITIoNAL QUESTION: WHAT THIS SENTENCE PUT THEM AGAIN IN THE BANK means ??) And they 've sent him (over?) too. Why's it all so HOT ? What sort of plant can he be when we don't believe a word he says" END OF PARAGRAPH. Certainly "plant" is not the vegetation or the industrial installation. " I think HOT is not related to physical temperature. So far, I think Tdol answer is the most adequate, despite the fact that is not complete. But it's good!Please, feel free to help me. Tks

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apulcherio View Post
    Thank you all for your cooperation.I did not include the complete sentence because I had imgined it would not be necessary. I was wrong. Here is the complete paragraph: 'All right. The Russians have turned Tarr round (ATTENTION: it´s not AROUND, it really is ROUND. What is that?). They have sent his Family over - God knows why, I'd have thought they put them again in the bank (ADDITIoNAL QUESTION: WHAT THIS SENTENCE PUT THEM AGAIN IN THE BANK means ??) And they 've sent him (over?) too. Why's it all so HOT ? What sort of plant can he be when we don't believe a word he says" END OF PARAGRAPH. Certainly "plant" is not the vegetation or the industrial installation. " I think HOT is not related to physical temperature. So far, I think Tdol answer is the most adequate, despite the fact that is not complete. But it's good!Please, feel free to help me. Tks
    To turn something "round" is colloquial for "around". I would always use 'around' in this context.
    Not sure about "the bank".
    Yes, you were lucky that Tdol read your post. There's no guarantee you would have got correct answers without him (or without the new context).

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    It's a while since I read it, but I imagine it means that they persuaded him to change sides and become their agent. If something's hot, it is controversial/dangerous, etc. A plant is someone working for you inside another organisation.
    I'm not sure about the rest - it depends on the missing context. If the context is a general one - spy thrillers - you're rgiht. Hot and plant mean those things.

But suppose the missing context is someone interviewing a grower of tropical plants: 'Why's it all so hot? What sort of plant can survive in heat like this?' We really do need to know more.

b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast