Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello everyone,
I was reading up for an English test the other day and found the following info in a quite old school Grammar book. Are the examples below correct? Could you possibly explain them to me?
1. The student Mary was absent from the lesson yesterday (not 'student Mary', though we say 'Doctor Smith', 'Queen Elizabeth' and 'the poet Longfellow', the latter taking the as thee apposition 'poet' refers to a famous personality).
2. I prefer a dry wine (not 'dry wine'; will the correct continuation be: 'I prefer a dry wine to sweet', without any article before sweet as it has no headword?)
3. 'He asked for permission to come late' (AFAIK we cannot drop 'for', can we? The uncountable noun 'permission' never takes any article, does it?)
4. It'sreal spring (not 'a real spring'. Is it so as the use of 'real' here is close to the adverb 'really' or why?)
5. No article is required with the names of magazines (Cosmopolitan, not 'the Cosmopolitan'; 'Vogue', not 'the Vogue', though 'the' is a must with newspapers) - this was a complete novelty for me, who ranked magazines and papers together.
6. The word 'Parliament' never takes 'the', as well as 'Congress' (I knew of the latter, but am not sure of the word 'Parliament').
7. Ann studies literature of the 18th century and Nick is interested in Soviet literature (not 'the Soviet literature').
8. Mary isdaughter of a hunter (her social status - what's meant by that?) / the daughter of a hunter (even if she has sisters and no more info is given about her; this is given as the most popular use) / a daughter of a hunter (to stress that she has sisters).
I know that these questions sound silly, but they set me thinking and got perplexed, though I do know the better part of the rules about articles (or simply hope so).
Could you possibly tell me if this info is correct and up to date? Thanks in advance, I pin all my hopes on you as always.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Mary is the daughter of a hunter. Otherwise they are all correct and still in use.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. The student Mary was absent from the lesson yesterday
That sounds most unnatural to me, with or without 'the'.

2. I prefer a dry wine
I prefer dry wine to sweet (wine)
I prefer a dry wine to a sweet (one).

3. 'He asked (for) permission to come late'

7. Ann studies the literature of the 18th century and Nick is interested in Soviet literature.
or: Ann studies 18th century Literature ...

8. Mary is the daughter of a hunter.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion, I prefer dry wine and a dry wine carry the same meaning. Both denote dry wine in general. If it were "the" dry wine it would refer to a specific wine, perhaps one the person just tasted.

tyrp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear probus, 5jj and MikeNewYork, thank you so much. The only question that remains is with mags. Do they require the definite article like newspapers or do they never take it? Can it depend on the magazine? I'll be most grateful for some examples to cl;ear it up for me.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If 'the' is part of the magazine's title — such as 'The Week', 'The Lady' and others listed here — it must be included (and capitalised), otherwise it depends on the context.

"Every week I get 'Cosmopolitan', 'Vogue' and 'Women's Health and Beauty'."

[If out of reach and within somebody else's] "Pass the 'Simple Suppers' and the 'Reader's Digest', please."

Rover

tyrp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks a million, dear Rover. Now I got it (at last=))).

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just to add to Rover's comments, an indefinite article (a, an) can also be used.

Does anyone have a NewYork Times?
There is a Reader's Digest in the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.