Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Can this combination be used when 'shaping the bahaviour of children in schools' is meant?

Would it be, then, alright to say, '...measures of this kind will lead to (?!) their moral regeneration'?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dgeneration is the word you seek.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
Can this combination be used when 'shaping the bahaviour of children in schools' is meant?

Would it be, then, alright to say, '...measures of this kind will lead to (?!) their moral regeneration'?
I suppose so, if their morals had been degenerated and may be regenerated.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks! How formal do you believe this word is? And, is the following structure and the its choice of words alright?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am puzzled by those who are unfamiliar with regeneration , or who feels that 'degeneration' is intended. There is no way of knowing which of the two was intended in the original sentence; both, with very different meanings, are possible. I can imagine, for example, a creationist saying, "Teaching the theory of evolution in our schools leads to moral degeneration. Bringing God into the classroom will lead to moral regeneration".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks, dear 5jj. I didn't provide any further context (making me feel embarrassed now!) since I didn't know of the word 'degeneration', so thought the only possible interpretation of my sentence would be something positive. Always wishing the best for you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.