English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
In the following sentence if nickel means 5 cents, then what can be the meaning? Can a nickle change hands? I don't get what it means by 'a nickle can change hands'?
Thanks.

The meat could be kneaded into a pellet, flipped on the hotplate, and clapped in a bun (to keep the customer's fingers grease-free) faster than a nickel could change hands

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
I think a nickel changing hands is like a nickel being paid to another person. :)

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi
In the following sentence if nickel means 5 cents, then what can be the meaning? Can a nickle change hands? I don't get what it means by 'a nickle can change hands'?
Thanks.

The meat could be kneaded into a pellet, flipped on the hotplate, and clapped in a bun (to keep the customer's fingers grease-free) faster than a nickel could change hands
How long does it take for you to give some money to a clerk in a shop? A nickle is money. When you give your money to someone else, the money has changed hands. You no longer have the money. It is no longer in your hands but is in the hands of the person you gave it to.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
And besides, spending a nickel nowadays is really easy - so it goes away fast. YOu text is just saying that getting a hamburger ready was really fast (and it uses hyperbole to highlight it)

charliedeut

Status
Not open for further replies.