Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I used a debit card, which draws money from your account per spending, when I lived in Canada.
Here in Korea, they call it "a check card". Is it a correct term? I think not.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do they use the English words 'check card' in Korean?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes, they do.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then, to a native speaker it's incorrect. However, if that is now the accepted Korean word for what we call a 'debit card', then it is, within Korea and between speakers of Korean, correct. If Koreans speak English, then they need to use 'debit card'.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Then, to a native speaker it's incorrect. However, if that is now the accepted Korean word for what we call a 'debit card', then it is, within Korea and between speakers of Korean, correct. If Koreans speak English, then they need to use 'debit card'.

Why is it incorrect? According to these sources, 'debit card' and 'check card' mean the same thing:
A Visa Debit card, also known as a Visa check card, is a debit card that works like a check, only better. When you make purchases, the amount is deducted directly from your checking account — but you also enjoy added convenience and security protections.
(Debit Cards & Check Cards | Visa USA)

check card noun [ countable ] American English
a special plastic card, similar to a credit card , that you can use to pay for things directly from your checking account SYN debit card
(Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English)
A debit card (also known as a bank card or check card) is a plastic payment card that provides the cardholder electronic access to his or her bank account(s) at a financial institution.
(Debit card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Cheque (guarantee) cards disappeared in many European Countries over ten years ago, and in England nearly two years ago. Even before they disappeared, very few people were using them. I imagine there are still a few people around who refer to them as cheque cards, but for most of us this side of the pond there are only debit cards.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In countries where people still frequently write cheques, they may well still use cheque cards. I can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque - I use cash, my debit card or online bank transfer.

Bear in mind that in the UK, "checking accounts" don't exist. We call them "current accounts".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Bear in mind that in the UK, "checking accounts" don't exist. We call them "current accounts".
I'd forgotten that some countries call them 'checking accounts.' That might explain the 'check/cheque card' which, for us Brits' was always used only with cheques - though they also functioned as debit cards in their final days.

Status
Not open for further replies.