Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Is this sentence ok?

"13 of 71 units are grinding plants, in which clinker is purchased and combined with gypsum and other additives in order to manufacture portland cement. The other factories are complete industrial complexes, carrying out operations that range from limestone quarrying and processing, clinker production to portland cement manufacturing"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need another "to." From this to that to that.

I think it is awkward to start a sentence with a numeral and would try to re-word the sentence to avoid that.

If you have mentioned the plants before, you would say "13 of the 71 units."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My comment has more to do with styles than with grammar. I am not fond of the construction "that range from limestone quarrying and processing, clinker production to portland cement manufacturing". It leaves "clinker production" just sitting there. I would prefer:

"that range from limestone quarrying and processing to clinker production to portland cement manufacturing". That more typically depicts a range.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My comment has more to do with styles than with grammar. I am not fond of the construction "that range from limestone quarrying and processing, clinker production to portland cement manufacturing". It leaves "clinker production" just sitting there. I would prefer:

"that range from limestone quarrying and processing to clinker production to portland cement manufacturing". That more typically depicts a range.

That's what I meant when I said another "to" was needed.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah! I missed that!

Status