What is the right adjective for this (...) kind of 'plot' or 'film'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

We've decided to discuss, in our gatherings, the most successful films with some sort of complicated plot which can provoke more talk. Can we use 'debatable', 'disputable', or 'controversial' as adjectives for these films and their plots?

I have no reason why they may be right or wrong. I'd appreciate any help.

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
Well, I don't know exactly what kind of movies your are watching, but I think "controversial" is the most natural adjective. The other words are usually used to talk about facts or information rather than about stories.

A really natural description could be "thought provoking". That would mean the movies make you think about things you don't normally think about.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you are referring to the films or plots themselves, controversial would be the only one that works. If you are talking about the inclusion of a film on a "most successful" list, then debatable would be a better choice.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Then what I infer is, 'debatable' can be used when the result for something, a decision, a claim, etc is against expectations and a bit shocking, in a way that it makes people debate about it. Is that right? (Sort of negative connotation perhaps?)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Debatable often has a negative connotation, in that the speaker has another choice. But debate itself is a positive healthy thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.