Member Type
Other
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Is there a rule which indicate that this is not proper?

Example: The dialog window contains warnings lists about the aplication execution

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't undertand. Does the user need to be told they're 'lists'. The software engineer may think it's pretty cool, but that's no reason to bother the user with it. They are just 'warnings' - aren't they?

b

PS It's 'application'. And again, why does the user have to be bothered with this stuff? Doesn't 'The software displays information in the dialog box' do the job? (Come to that, if they are 'warnings' is there anything the user can do about them? Maybe that answers my first question: one list is of system errors, and one is of user errors...?) Incidentally, the term 'dialog box' is pretty standard. In the terms of Microsoft Windows , it's not a 'window' (you can't expand it to full screen, you can't change the size, and you can't shrink it to an icon).

Last edited:

bungynik

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
It is not for the end user. This is for the internal communication document. I am pretty much aware of everything else you wrote, but I still don't have answer to my question - whether it is grammatically correct or not.

Thanks for your answer anyway

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there a rule which indicate that this is not proper?

Example: The dialog window contains warnings lists about the application execution

If there are multiple lists and multiple warnings on each list, it's OK. But I would prefer, ".....contains lists of warnings.....".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use "warning list" even if there is more than one warning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess it depends on whether or not one such list would be referred to as a "warnings list". In my previous job, we had something called the "warnings index". If there was more than one, they would have been the "warnings indices". If it's generally called a "warnings list" in your terminology, then I would say that "warnings lists" is OK (if indeed you need to say "list" at all). If it's normally a "warning list" then the plural would be "warning lists".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is not for the end user. This is for the internal communication document. I am pretty much aware of everything else you wrote, but I still don't have answer to my question - whether it is grammatically correct or not.

Thanks for your answer anyway

:I-| I didn't say 'end user'. Anyone who has to work with this stuff (rather than working on the development of this stuff) is a user.

But if you choose to ignore my 20 years of experience as a technical writer (before I became a teacher), that's fine. For what it's worth, I agree with whoever suggested 'lists of warnings'.

b

bungynik

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
:I-|
But if you choose to ignore my 20 years of experience as a technical writer (before I became a teacher), that's fine. For what it's worth, I agree with whoever suggested 'lists of warnings'.

b

I didn't have intention to ignore or to sound like I'm going to ignore. But the problem is that we have more or less defined communication standard that we have to fit within

I'm really grateful for the help I was given in this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.