• English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Language is the underpin of our society

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    And there's the problem with this postmodern crap. Your child's English teacher can teach how to read a picture, but they have trouble writing a meaningful sentence. The concept of an English teacher who knows how to express themselves in English, and how to teach others, seems to have vanished. Maybe it's time to accept that English teachers no longer teach language use, and that there's space for a new concept, such as Language teacher.
    Some things slip through the editing process...it's a Saturday night and I've been enjoying some (half a bottle of) drinks

But don't mistake a fumbled sentence for being inept at expressing thought using correct English.
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    And there's the problem with this postmodern crap.
    One thing it appears to have in common with every other development in education that has burst upon us since I started school in 1950 is that every part of every new idea is brilliant, the answer to everything, and that every part of the previous system is obsolete, crude, etc, and must be rooted out and burnt at the stake.

I have been around long enough to see some rejected ideas come back (under a different name of course) to be lauded most loudly by those who rejected them most loudly a couple of decades previously.

I don't know about other countries, but in education in England there appears to be a pretty direct correlation between one's ability to bandy about the latest buzzwords a week before anybody else has heard of them, and one's career progress.

ps. That last sentence is not just sour grapes from a noble teacher who refused to play such hypocritical games and suffered as a result. I played along for a few years - and reaped the rewards .

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HanibalII View Post
    They've tagged the old definition of literacy (reading and writing) as archaic. .
    I assume that 'they' are the NCTE or some Australian writers on education. I haven't actually been able to track down any references to the traditional definition of literacy I gave a link to (The condition or quality of being literate, especially the ability to read and write) as 'archaic'. Perhaps you could tell me where I could find such references, please. Thank you.

HanibalII is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I assume that 'they' are the NCTE or some Australian writers on education. I haven't actually been able to track down any references to the traditional definition of literacy I gave a link to (The condition or quality of being literate, especially the ability to read and write) as 'archaic'. Perhaps you could tell me where I could find such references, please. Thank you.

Nope. Not Australian. Majority of them are British, believe it or not.

Most of the theories this movement is based on are from the 90s. (I'll try and find some of my most recent readings)

It's all about the ability to update your teaching methods. There are still teachers that refuse to use computers in the classroom, neglecting a large portion of literacy practices. (Simply because it is not included in their understanding of literacy) I could write out a whole essay on classroom literacy practices if you'd like

I assume you're a teacher? Would you care to provide some examples of how you implement multi-modality in your classroom?
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HanibalII View Post
    It's all about the ability to update your teaching methods.
    What is 'it'? We are talking about the meaning of the word 'literacy'.
    There are still teachers that refuse to use computers in the classroom, neglecting a large portion of literacy practices. (Simply because it is not included in their understanding of literacy)
    How do you know that that is the reason? I took some time to get around to using computers in the classroom simply because I didn't know how to use the things effectively. I didn't even see a computer until I was in my thirties, and I was forty before they began to be common in classrooms. You are presenting your assumption as fact.
    I could write out a whole essay on classroom literacy practices if you'd like.
    No thanks. We are talking about the meaning of the word 'literacy', not about how teachers try to enable children to become literate.
    I assume you're a teacher? Would you care to provide some examples of how you implement multi-modality in your classroom?
    No. As I have just said, we are talking about the meaning of the word 'literacy'. That in itself is a side-track from our consideration of the word 'language', which we got on to when trying to look at your original question about "Language is the social underpin of our society, responsible for every action that takes place". On the way, you claimed that 'they' (whoever 'they' are) had tagged as archaic the definition of 'literacy' given in most dictionaries and understood and used by most native speakers.

The ground keeps shifting in this thread. I'll leave you to it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4