• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its scener

Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites"?

In my country,I learned the phrase "a place of interest" when I was a middle school student.We were told that the phrase "a place of interest" should be translated as "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites".
    At that time,I paid no attention to it.However,I do feel confused right now.Firstly,I can not understand the function of "of".Is it the preposition implying the meaning of "belong to",just like the use of " 's"
    Meanwhile,the word interest also puzzled me.Is it related to the translated meaning "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites"? I cannot figure out that and find the relationship between the word interest and the translated meaning.

Anyone who can help me is welcome.Thx

billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its sce

Quote Originally Posted by Mumuqi View Post
    Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites"?

In my country,I learned the phrase "a place of interest" when I was a middle school student.We were told that the phrase "a place of interest" should be translated as "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites".
    At that time,I paid no attention to it.However,I do feel confused right now.Firstly,I can not understand the function of "of".Is it the preposition implying the meaning of "belong to",just like the use of " 's"
    Meanwhile,the word interest also puzzled me.Is it related to the translated meaning "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites"? I cannot figure out that and find the relationship between the word interest and the translated meaning.

Anyone who can help me is welcome.Thx
    "A place of interest" might or might not be "famous". The term simply means that an indefinite number of persons are interested in the "place" for some reason such as scenery, history etc.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its sce

I'm not sure where those 'translations' come from. They're wrong. The interest could arise from anything. (Maybe whoever suggested them wanted you to use more complex language.)

b