• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its scenery

Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites"?

In my country,I learned the phrase "a place of interest" when I was a middle school student.We were told that the phrase "a place of interest" should be translated as "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites".
    At that time,I paid no attention to it.However,I do feel confused right now.Firstly,I can not understand the function of "of".Is it the preposition implying the meaning of "belong to",just like the use of " 's"
    Meanwhile,the word interest also puzzled me.Is it related to the translated meaning "a place famous for its scenery" or "famous historical sites"? I cannot figure out that and find the relationship between the word interest and the translated meaning.

Anyone who can help me is welcome.Thx

probus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its sce

Of in place of interest indicates that interest is a property that pertains to the place. Similar constructions abound: a man of mystery, a tale of intrigue, a man of parts, a soldier of fortune.

In certain contexts a place famous for scenery or a famous historical site may be equivalent in meaning to place of interest, but place of interest is a much more general term. A place may be of interest for its culinary scene, its language, its current performing arts, and any number of other things.

Mumuqi is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why is the phrase "a place of interest" translated as "a place famous for its sce

The meaning I got was totally true and I found it was narrowly difined.Thank U so much.