Is the expression "Mary and other beautiful girls" ambiguous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicogu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am not a native-speaker.
I am confused with the expression"Mary and other beautiful girls",

Can I say the expression is ambiguous?like, It can be understand as "Mary is one of those beatuiful girls" and "Mary is a girl but not beautiful" or even
"Mary is a boy and others are beautiful girls"?

In other words, can we say "an ugly girl and other beautiful girls"?

Thanks in advance!

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As it is written, "Mary and other beautiful girls" means to me that Mary is a beautiful girl. However, the meaning can be changed by inserting a comma or two.
Thus, "Mary, and other beautiful girls" is slightly ambiguous about whether Mary is beautiful or not, whilst "Mary, and other, beautiful, girls" certainly implies that Mary is not beautiful. However, none of these three versions could be taken to mean that Mary may not be a girl, because the word "other" connects Mary with girls.

nicogu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your explanation. I am convinced.:)

As it is written, "Mary and other beautiful girls" means to me that Mary is a beautiful girl. However, the meaning can be changed by inserting a comma or two.
Thus, "Mary, and other beautiful girls" is slightly ambiguous about whether Mary is beautiful or not, whilst "Mary, and other, beautiful, girls" certainly implies that Mary is not beautiful. However, none of these three versions could be taken to mean that Mary may not be a girl, because the word "other" connects Mary with girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.