Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In the culture of my country sometimes the word "bird" is used as a metaphor for a beloved person. For example, we say that:

In the sky of my love, there is no bird other than you.

As I said "bird" refers back to a beloved person and "sky" refers back to the greatness of someone's love. I think in English we can use "sky" for greatness but what word is used for "bird" as symbol of beloved person?

Please note that the connotation of the word bird is highly positive in this context. Did I myself clear?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In the culture of my country sometimes the word "bird" is used as a metaphor for a beloved person. For example, we say that:

In the sky of my love, there is no bird other than you.

As I said "bird" refers back to a beloved person and "sky" refers back to the greatness of someone's love. I think in English we can use "sky" for greatness but what word is used for "bird" as symbol of beloved person?

Please note that the connotation of the word bird is highly positive in this context. Did I myself clear?
No, they are not English metaphors. And if you change one, you'd need to change the other to avoid a mixed metaphor like "In the ocean of my love, there is no bird like you." Your original is OK for bad poetry or a cheesy song.

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So how can I translate this sentence? What should I say? Can I say the following?

In the ocean of my love, there is no fish other than you.

Is "fish" a metaphor for a beloved person in English? What is the metaphor of a beloved person in English? Do we have such metaphor at all?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I do not recommend that you call your love a fish.

The reason that you are not receiving many responses here is that speakers of English, unless they are poets or writers of romantic fiction, tend not to address their loved ones in flowery language.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So how can I translate this sentence? What should I say? Can I say the following?

In the ocean of my love, there is no fish other than you.

Is "fish" a metaphor for a beloved person in English? What is the metaphor of a beloved person in English? Do we have such metaphor at all?
Of course there are metaphors for a beloved person: honey, sweetheart, etc. I can't think of one for "In the X of my love".
But you're asking for translation of your sentence, or words to fit your sentence structure, like "In the beehive of my love, there is no honey like you". You're not looking for one metaphor; you need two which are both correct, and which make sense together. We are saying that nothing in English fits the structure you've given. Do you see that?
You might get away with "You're the moon in my sky", but you can't say, "In the sky of my love, there is no moon like you."

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
unless they are poets or writers of romantic fiction, tend not to address their loved ones in flowery language.​

That's exactly the case in my language

Status
Not open for further replies.