Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
UK
I am doing a CELTA pre-interview task and am having a tough time in answering the question what difficulties students might have with learning expression. They want me to comment with regards to meaning, form and pronunciation. The expressions have to do with health: I've got a cough, I feel nauseous etc. The lesson is aimed at pre-intermediate students.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Janeen. :hi:

We like to help when we can, but it would not be appropriate for us to help you with this. The course-providers want to see what you can do, not what we can do.

Janeen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
UK
Thank you 5jj. I must admit that perhaps I did come across as wanting the answer. Mt research has resulted in the following results:
the verbs are delexicalised or empty having little or no contribution to meaning to the expression, they are fixed, implying that adjectives and adverbs can not be introduced into the expression. The words following the verb contribute to their meaning rather than the verb themselves. They too cannot be taken literally. This is where I feel students may have the biggest problem as one cannot feel nauseous as you would feel a cat or have a cold as you may have an apple. What I was in fact experiencing problems with, were the meaning, form and pronunciation. Pronunciation would be affected by the region the student would be learning in. (I know I just ended a sentence with a preposition) and what the and pre-intermediate student may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.