English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone!

I'm a new ESL teacher in the US and I'm teaching an elective course for ESL learners on US cities and states. While the theme is broad, I'm having a very difficult time coming up with engaging lesson activities to use. The class is a supplement for students outside of their longer level blocks and my class contains around 12 students of varying levels and backgrounds.

I polled the students on the first day to see what areas of the US they wanted to know more about specifically, and I have a range of locations. However I'm unsure how best to teach about these areas. Especially without a computer lab or computer access.

I look for any and all suggestions to help with my class!

Nichalia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Have you tried taking a task-based learning approach? There's a wealth of information about this all over the internet, if you wanted to look into it.

Perhaps instead of actually teaching them about places yourself you can find ways to give them a little more learner autonomy, and support their language needs. For example, you could have them choose places they're interested in and research them with the purpose of producing something in the target language (putting together a presentation, creating a display, planning a holiday, etc) and then you could create opportunities for conversation (mock travel agencies with role-plays, pairs presenting their holiday plans or introducing their location to other pairs, put all displays around the room and have everyone in pairs discuss each, etc.) There are also a lot of multimedia resources available on this topic, if you can arrange access to them.

Alex Thompson

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello...
A degree in travel and tourism provides you with an understanding of the wider social and economic issues related to these areas. The multi-disciplinary nature of the course means you develop strong business management and communication skills, enabling you to compete for work within the travel and tourism sector as well as in other career areas.
Travel and tourism graduates are able to demonstrate:

• an understanding of the principles essential for successful tourism management;
  • knowledge of activity in the private sector (including tour operators, airlines and hotels) as well as knowledge of the public and not-for-profit sectors (including tourist boards);
  • the ability to analyse tourism in the communities it affects;
  • the ability to evaluate the relationships between consumers and the providers of tourism services;
  • knowledge of the principles and issues relating to sustainability and social responsibility within tourism;
  • a combination of vocational and academic skills and knowledge;
  • an understanding of international tourism;
  • awareness of the dynamic nature of tourism in modern society;
  • an understanding of products, structures and operations within the tourism industry;
  • insight into the nature and characteristics of tourists.

Status
Not open for further replies.