Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 220
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    about "take a break"

    In the sentence:
    The students are taking a break from college exams in the restaurant.
    My first thought was that the students have taken some exams, and they still have some more, so they are taking a short break.
    But then some people argue that the students may also have finished all the exams, and are taking a break to relax themselves, just like a summer holiday is also referred to as a break. It's not necessary that they are to have more exams.
    Then I wonder, is the second interpretation also possible? Could you help confirm it?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,282
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: about "take a break"

    Quote Originally Posted by chance22 View Post
    In the sentence:
    The students are taking a break from college exams in the restaurant.
    My first thought was that the students have taken some exams, and they still have some more, so they are taking a short break.
    But then some people argue that the students may also have finished all the exams, and are taking a break to relax themselves, just like a summer holiday is also referred to as a break. It's not necessary that they are to have more exams.
    Then I wonder, is the second interpretation also possible? Could you help confirm it?
    If they had finished exams, that would not be a natural way of saying it.
    "The students are celebrating the finish of college exams in the restaurant."
    If you're "taking a break", then after the break, you are going back to what you were doing .

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 220
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: about "take a break"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    If they had finished exams, that would not be a natural way of saying it.
    "The students are celebrating the finish of college exams in the restaurant."
    If you're "taking a break", then after the break, you are going back to what you were doing .
    Thank you Raymott for the help. Then is it possible to interprete it as "They are taking a break to relax themselves since they have finished all the exams"? Or is it also not natural?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,282
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: about "take a break"

    Quote Originally Posted by chance22 View Post
    Thank you Raymott for the help. Then is it possible to interprete it as "They are taking a break to relax themselves since they have finished all the exams"? Or is it also not natural?
    That's not a natural way of interpreting it either, unless your original sentence was uttered wrongly. Naturally, some context would help. If you knew the students had finished exams, you could interpret it that way; that doesn't change the fact that the sentence doesn't mean that.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 220
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: about "take a break"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    That's not a natural way of interpreting it either, unless your original sentence was uttered wrongly. Naturally, some context would help. If you knew the students had finished exams, you could interpret it that way; that doesn't change the fact that the sentence doesn't mean that.
    I got it. Thank you again!

  3. probus's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 2,461
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: about "take a break"

    Taking a break from something always implies that you will be going back to it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2012, 22:41
  2. "Destroy", "Damage", "Break"?
    By devonpham1998 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2010, 22:37
  3. What's the difference between "break" and "recess"?
    By Eureka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2009, 01:18
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2009, 18:19
  5. "break the jam" vs. "break the ice"
    By nyggus in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2006, 05:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •