• Thread starter MrShiva
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,689
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrShiva

Good day to all of you guys!
I opted to register here to enhance my English and Communication skills. I am from the Philippines were English is our second language and one of the requirements if you want to get a good job (especially on Teaching Profession). I am looking forward to leaning lots of thing here :)

This is my first question:

What is the difference and how to use HAVE TO and NEED TO in a sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[strike]Good day to all of you guys![/strike] Unnatural

Hello everyone.

I opted to register here to enhance my English and communication skills. I am from the Philippines where English is our second language and one of the requirements if you want to get a good job (especially [strike]on[/strike] in the teaching profession). I am looking forward to learning lots of things here. :)

This is my first question:

What is the difference between, and how to use, HAVE TO and NEED TO in a sentence?

Welcome to the forum.

We like learners to make attempts at full sentences using the words and phrases they are querying. We don't just replace a grammar book by explaining whole aspects of the language.

Write some sentences using "have to" and "need to" and we will look at them and see if you are using them correctly.

Please also look at the amendments I made to your post in red. Check your spelling before you post.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I am from the Philippines were English is our second language and one of the requirements if you want to get a good job (especially on Teaching Profession).

Please amend your profile to show your true native language, if English is indeed your second language.

M

MrShiva

Thank you emsr2d2 for some corrections that you have made.

These are the examples that I have:

You have to use this pencil for your exam.

You need to use this pencil for your exam.

( I don't know which one is correct, but i usually used Need to for this kind of sentence.)

Chicken Sandwich I will update my profile as soon as possible. Thank you very much :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To be completely honest, I'm sure there are ESL books that make a distinction, but I would use:

You must use a #2 pencil.
You need to use a #2 pencil.
You have to use a #2 pencil.

with no intended difference in meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.