Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Asking direction.jpg
Could you please take a look at the map and the description about how to get to my house from where I work? and please tell me if there is any other easier way to tell people the direction? thank you very much in advance. :)

The description:
At the front door, turn left, abandon one block, go straight to the next block, then cross the road to the right side of the street, go straight to the second block, then cross the road to the left side of the street, abandon one block, go straight for a little bit, then you’ll see my house.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
At the front door, turn left. Take the first right, then the second left. My house is in the second block on the left.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The word "abandon" never forms part of giving directions. I'm not sure what word you are mixing it up with, but it's definitely wrong.

Steven Mai

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
At the front door, turn left. Take the first right, then the second left. My house is in the second block on the left.

Rover

Thank you. :) Your way is so much easier.
May I ask some more questions?
When people say "Take the left of the street" or " Take the street on the left", do they mean go along the street on the left side?
And what do they mean when they say "Take the first on the right"?
Thank you again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.