[General] Please help me out with this little review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanThrash

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi! this is my first time on the forum so I may be in the wrong sub-forum, please move this tread if necessary :-D.
Well, lets start with my issue. Lately I´ve been trying to write musical reviews for an english speaking website
I've already written many reviews in spanish but I'm a newbie at english. Please could you take a look at the text
and point me the weak spots and the grammar mistakes? Note that I´d preffer if you could point me the kind of mistake
I had so I can improve that aspect of my writing with the next review. Thank you very much for the help! :-D

At the end of every year I look for all the "best albums of the year" lists to give a listen to all the underground metal releases that I missed. That's exactly the way I found about Xanthochroid's music.

All the songs on the album are perfectly composed and arranged to fit the wide spectrum of Xanthocrhoid's music. Going from epic black metal, to folky sections and extreme progresive stuff, this is a non-stopping masterpiece.

Most of the reviews here had already described Blessed He With Boils' music accurately. A mixture of early Emperor and Opeth, a healthy dose of acoustic folk and a clear symphonic approach in the style of old Dimmu Borgir. I personally hear a lot of influence coming from Jari Maenpaa (Ensiferum, Wintersun) in the guitar composing style.
There are no fillers here. The symphonic tag is not just an excuse to throw some random keyboards to the mix as an attempt to cover the songs' weaknesses. No, the whole instrumental section is well thought to complement the story and the vocals.
I'm aware that many metalheads have a certain reticence with this sub-genre because a lot of symphonic bands tend to overuse those elements to the point of exageration without any artistic purpose within the song. You can bet this is not the case.
Another thing that I really liked about this album was the vocal work. There are a lot of clean sections mixed with powerful black metal shrieks. Watching videos on you tube I found that most of the members contributed to the vocals and the folk instrumentation (Watch their Wintersun cover, the drummer's voice is great!)

Xanthochroid’s music reminded me of many bands and of none at the same time. They've succeeded in creating an atmosphere strongly rooted on their previously cited masters, without falling into the plagiarism trap.
The production is top notch, just as the musicianship. The distorted diminished chords sound so powerfull and clear at the same time. The vocals are perfectly mixed and the drums are concrete and powerfull during the album...Maybe the bass recording gets lost intermitently on the mix, but it does not take away the final quality of Blessed He With Boils.
My absolute favourite tracks are Winter´s End, Long Live our Lifeless King and In Putris Stagnum. Check this album if you enjoy melodic/symphonic black metal with little touches of folk and progressive music. Totally recommended.

EnglishFix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Chile
At the end of every year I look for all the "best albums of the year" lists to give a listen to all the underground metal releases that I missed. That's exactly the way I found about Xanthochroid's music.

All the songs on the album are perfectly composed and arranged to fit the wide spectrum of Xanthochroid's music. Going from epic black metal, to folky sections and extreme progresive stuff, this is a non-stop masterpiece.

Most of the reviews here have already described Blessed He With Boils' music accurately. A mixture of early Emperor and Opeth, a healthy dose of acoustic folk and a clear symphonic approach in the style of old Dimmu Borgir. I personally hear a lot of influence coming from Jari Maenpaa (Ensiferum, Wintersun) in the guitar composition style.

There are no fillers here. The symphonic tag is not just an excuse to throw some random keyboards into the mix as an attempt to cover the songs' weaknesses. No, the whole instrumental section is well thought out to complement the story and the vocals.
I'm aware that many metalheads have a certain reticence within this sub-genre because a lot of symphonic bands tend to overuse those elements to the point of exageration without any artistic purpose within the song. You can bet this is not the case.

Another thing that I really liked about this album was the vocal work. There are a lot of clean sections mixed with powerful black metal shrieks. Watching the videos on YouTube I found that most of the members contributed to the vocals and the folk instrumentation (Watch their Wintersun cover, the drummer's voice is great!)

Xanthochroid’s music reminded me of many bands and of none at the same time. They've succeeded in creating an atmosphere strongly rooted in their previously cited masters, without falling into the plagiarism trap.

The production is top notch, just as the musicianship. The distorted diminished chords sound so powerful and clear at the same time. The vocals are perfectly mixed and the drums are concrete and powerful during the album. Maybe the bass recording gets lost intermitently on the mix, but it does not take away the final quality of Blessed He With Boils.

My absolute favourite tracks are Winter´s End, Long Live our Lifeless King and In Putris Stagnum. Check out this album if you enjoy melodic/symphonic black metal with little touches of folk and progressive music. Totally recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.