Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I am working on a research project about ESL teachers, ESL resources and ESL teacher networks. If you are an ESL teacher, what resources are you using most? And where are you going to network or connect with other ESL teachers? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

EnglishFix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Chile
Re: Questions for ESL teachers!

I use American Accent Training by Ann Cook very much. It's a great system!

Christian33

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
I like to use various materials. For warm-ups or advanced learners I like to use news articles. If you search for easy English news on Google you can find a variety of sites, one of them will offer an article with an English level you can use in the class. For the actual lesson, I use books. I particularly like the Oxford and Cambridge books, but others are good too if they promote original use of the language. I might also make my own games and materials related to either the topic or the target language that was in the book. For connecting to other teachers, Linked In is a good site, but but most of the really good ideas and activities that I have have from other people came from meeting them face to face.

eslonlinejack

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
I'm an online teacher so I mainly use online resources. I create a lot of my own resources but also use Breaking News English a lot and English Page for grammar and exercises. There are many other resources that I use but these two are my first choices.

I've started to use Twitter to connect with other teachers. I also read a lot of blogs about teaching and ESLHQ for the forums.

Keep us updated with your project, it sounds interesting. Hope this has helped.

ojaeger

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
I've started to use Twitter to connect with other teachers.

Since you mentioned using twitter to connect with other teachers (which I by the way think is a great idea), I am curious how you feel about using twitter and other social networking sites in your classroom with students. For instance, making them chat about certain topics, discuss the class (or continue the discussion that you did not have time for during the class), or just encouraging communication for those students who might be a little shy or not comfortable with their language skills to talk in class. Considering that you teach online, do you think social networking can be used as one of the educational tools?
I would really appreciate the reply because I was just involved in discussion on this topic with some of my colleagues and would love to get more opinions.
Thanks.

Nichalia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Absolutely! I don't teach online, but there are a variety of ways to integrate in-class learning with the digital world we live in, and enhance classes with social media and other tools. Check out Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful Web Tools for the Classroom by Will Richardson for a variety of ideas on how to use digital tools to enhance SLA. I thought it contained a nice spread of variety and examples for application.

english963

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Hi, I'm also an English teacher, and I love using online resources when preparing a lesson. I even prefer using pdf books :)
I think it's a great idea to use social networking sites in teaching, because the kids are already there anyway. I've started my own Facebook page where I share some useful materials for students, I post short exercises... Forums are also great way to communicate with students.

Good luck with your research! :)

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi! I am also an ESL teacher and aside from the system our company has. I also try to use some resources that will be helpful to students. I use AmyWalkerOnline.com and
21accents.com (Click Video Tutorials- From Amy). Those 2 are are great. I hope you'll find time to check them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.