Post Thanks / Like

Default How can I smoothly tell someone "stop" when they are flattering me.

Whenever I'm flattered, like someone says :

Aaron, you are so handsome. I'm sure you could date any woman if you want. (ok this is just an instance. Don't upset. )

Basically, I don't know what to say. At this kinds of moment, I wanna tell him or her something with a wit. But I just don't say anything and I don't want it to be looked as rude.

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How can I smoothly tell someone "stop" when they are flattering me.

Smile, and discreetly change the subject.

MrP

Post Thanks / Like

Just say thanks to them!!!(be polite!I think they won't say the same thing when they meet you next time)

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: How can I smoothly tell someone "stop" when they are flattering me.

Why not reply something like "Well, flattering will get you nowhere!".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reklov
    Why not reply something like "Well, flattering will get you nowhere!".
    reklov, thank you so much for reply. I was hoping that kind of expression. but..

What does that even mean? -_-;;;

Post Thanks / Like

"Flattery will get you nowhere" is the usual version. It means: "It doesn't matter how much you flatter, it won't help you get what you want from me." It's a way of gently accusing someone of trying to use flattery to make you do something for them. Of course, it's not really an accusation; it's usually said with a

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss
    "Flattery will get you nowhere" is the usual version. It means: "It doesn't matter how much you flatter, it won't help you get what you want from me." It's a way of gently accusing someone of trying to use flattery to make you do something for them. Of course, it's not really an accusation; it's usually said with a
    Oh, that's very useful expression!! Thanks a lot!!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: How can I smoothly tell someone "stop" when they are flattering me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    Whenever I'm flattered, like someone says :
    Aaron, you are so handsome. I'm sure you could date any woman if you want. (ok this is just an instance. Don't upset. )
    Basically, I don't know what to say. At this kinds of moment, I wanna tell him or her something with a wit. But I just don't say anything and I don't want it to be looked as rude.
    Try:

Flattery will get you no where, but DO continue OR
    Oh well, what can I say, seems it just in my hormones OR
    "Handsome" is my middle name OR indeed, as I normally say:

Trust me sunshine, I may be good-looking, but whenever YOU are around me, I'll ALWAYS stand second

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Much depends of course on whether a) the flatterer is male or female b) you would prefer the flatterer to be male or female.

MrP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j4mes_bond25
    Try:
    Flattery will get you no where, but DO continue OR
    Oh well, what can I say, seems it just in my hormones OR
    "Handsome" is my middle name OR indeed, as I normally say:
    Trust me sunshine, I may be good-looking, but whenever YOU are around me, I'll ALWAYS stand second
    Very smooth agent 007.