• Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

politeness principle

I got this question from my teacher, but I am confused. Could someone please help me to interpret it?
    "How would you interpret Brown and Levison's politeness principle through the [Hungarian] native speaker's choice between thouing and yeing?"

(thouing - to use the familiar pronoun (thou, tu, du); yeing - to use the forman pronoun (Ye, Vos, Sie))
    (I use "thou" and "ye" in a specific sense. I use them as the equivalents of Hungarian terms: H tegez= using thou to address somebody, H magáz= using ye to address somebody)

I do not know what principles she has in her mind. Lakoff had politeness principles, B&L had politeness theory, or am I mistaken?

So I wish to know what principles could she have in mind? What is politeness principle?
    Last edited by Plexike; 09-Jun-2013 at 00:28. Reason: explicitation

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: politeness principle

Quote Originally Posted by Plexike View Post
    I got this question from my teacher, but I am confused. Could someone please help me to interpret it?
    "How would you interpret Brown and Levison's politeness principle through the [Hungarian] native speaker's choice between thouing and yeing?"

(thouing - to use the familiar pronoun (thou, tu, du); yeing - to use the forman pronoun (Ye, Vos, Sie))
    (I use "thou" and "ye" in a specific sense. I use them as the equivalents of Hungarian terms: H tegez= using thou to address somebody, H magáz= using ye to address somebody)

I do not know what principles she has in her mind. Lakoff had politeness principles, B&L had politeness theory, or am I mistaken?

So I wish to know what principles could she have in mind? What is politeness principle?
    How would you address someone of your age and social status in Hungarian? Next, how would you address someone older? Finally, how would you address someone you are asking to give you a large loan? What it be in the same way that you would address someone of your age?

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: politeness principle

Quote Originally Posted by Plexike View Post

If Brown and Levison have a politeness theory, then she can only mean the principles set out in that theory.