[General] push a wheelchair down a hallway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpletouch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
PNG
Current Location
United States
is that a correct usage of the phrasal verb? if i were to say push the shopping cart around would that be proper too.
thanks

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes both times. ;-)

b

PS Afterthought. There's another sense of 'push around' that is obviously irrelevant here: 'The important thing to remember is that bullies are cowards. Don't let him push you around.' You could avoid any facile 'jokes' by making sure the 'around' is part of a prepositional phrase, such as 'around the supermarket' or 'around the carpark'.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
is that a correct usage of the phrasal verb? if i were to say push the shopping cart around would that be proper too.
thanks
"Push a wheelchair down a hallway" doesn't include a phrasal verb. "Push around" is a phrasal verb.

purpletouch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
PNG
Current Location
United States
how so? the words that make up a phrasal don't have to be next to each other all time, they can be seperated but they still function as a unit. that's what i learned in class. matter of fact.

phrasal verbn.An English verb complex consisting of a verb and one or more following particles and acting as a complete syntactic and semantic unit, as look up in She looked up the word in the dictionary or She looked the word up in the dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.