English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I teach English online, and one of my biggest problems is the fact that typing sounds get picked up really well by most headsets. There seem to be lots of silent keyboards out there, but most of them have terrible reviews. Are there any teachers that have experienced this and found a good one?

Thanks!

Chris

TeacherChris

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's the thing -- all mechanical keyboards are all loud. Silent is a highly relative term when you're talking about a mechanical keyboard. After making my original post, I did some more research. My conclusions:

1. The only truly silent keyboards that exist are the silicone ones that are floppy, and the very thing that makes them silent (the lack of any guidance for the key to press down on the switch) makes them difficult to type on, drastically reducing speed.

2. Traditional keyboards (mechanical or dome switch) are simply not *silent,* and trying to find the quieter ones can be an extremely expensive and possibly futile process.

3. This is the epitome of a first world problem.

4. I will never get back the hour I spent researching this ridiculous inquiry.

My solution: I will put a dishrag over my hands and keyboard to dampen the clickity-click-clack of typing.

Solved.

TeacherChris

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Update: the problem was actually the fact that, when you plug a headset in, the computer's internal microphone continues to function. Once I disabled the internal microphone, it was night and day. I know you've been dying to hear the dramatic resolution.

Leonardino

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Argentina
the first time I heard about this...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first time I heard about this ...

What about the first time you heard about this?
Please check that your profile is correct. It states you are located in Argentina but your IP address is in the Russian Federation.

eslonlinejack

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
I need to pass this advice on to some of my online students. Sometimes it sounds like an elephant is using a computer for the first time.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I need to pass this advice on to some of my online students. Sometimes it sounds like an elephant is using a computer for the first time.

I have a feeling that even if an elephant were using a keyboard for the thousandth time, it would probably still make the same sound! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.