Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: with

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 1,996
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    with

    Are these sentences correct:
    1-I had to go back to my old house with its leaking roof.
    2-I had to go back to my old house, with its leaking roof.

    3-I had to go back to my old house with its leaking roof and broken windows.

    4-I had to go back to my old house, with its leaking roof and broken windows.

    I think they all work. The comma does not seem to change much. In "1" and "3", "my old house with its...." seems to form a unit. In "2" and "4", the part after the comma seems to have been added on as an afterthought.

    Gratefully,
    Navi.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: with

    Do the commas help with understanding? I think not. I must admit that I am a comma conservationist.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: with

    I, on the other hand, would probably use the commas. Particularly with the compound clause in #3.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,120
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: with

    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    Are these sentences correct:
    1-I had to go back to my old house with its leaking roof.
    2-I had to go back to my old house, with its leaking roof.

    3-I had to go back to my old house with its leaking roof and broken windows.

    4-I had to go back to my old house, with its leaking roof and broken windows.

    I think they all work. The comma does not seem to change much. In "1" and "3", "my old house with its...." seems to form a unit. In "2" and "4", the part after the comma seems to have been added on as an afterthought.

    Gratefully,
    Navi.
    I would use the commas in both versions. Without the commas it can sound as if you are taking the roof and and windows with you as you go.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: with

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I would use the commas in both versions. Without the commas it can sound as if you are taking the roof and and windows with you as you go.
    Hardly. That might be a possibility in I had to go back to my old house with its new front window, but I don't think anybody is likely to believe that you are carrying a leaking roof back to your old house.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,120
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: with

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Hardly. That might be a possibility in I had to go back to my old house with its new front window, but I don't think anybody is likely to believe that you are carrying a leaking roof back to your old house.
    I agree, once they finished the sentence. But it is possible to stumble on it on the way to the end.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: with

    I wouldn't use the commas in either sentence.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: with

    I can't fathom why but I would use the comma in the second variant where there are two aspects of the house's condition mentioned, but probably not in the first. To clarify, I think I would use:

    I went back to my old house with its leaking roof.
    I went back to my old house, with its leaking roof and broken windows.

    Actually, I've just realised something. I would be unlikely to use "its". I would be far more likely to say "I went back to my old house with the leaking roof". I would probably only use "its" if I were starting the sentence with that information:

    With its leaking roof and broken windows, my old house was a bit of a disaster area!
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,120
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: with

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I can't fathom why but I would use the comma in the second variant where there are two aspects of the house's condition mentioned, but probably not in the first. To clarify, I think I would use:

    I went back to my old house with its leaking roof.
    I went back to my old house, with its leaking roof and broken windows.

    Actually, I've just realised something. I would be unlikely to use "its". I would be far more likely to say "I went back to my old house with the leaking roof". I would probably only use "its" if I were starting the sentence with that information:

    With its leaking roof and broken windows, my old house was a bit of a disaster area!
    Comma use is variable among writers. The rules are not set in stone.

  7. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: with

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Comma use is variable among writers. The rules are not set in stone.
    It's variable but I can't explain why I would use it in one and not the other. Most people either go for commas or don't.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •