Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Switzerland
"The chef in the kitchen is working hard" and "Horses like this are very hard to find"

What is the function of the prepositional phrases in both sentences? Is it an adverb or adjective?

*I thought "in the kitchen" works as an adverbial telling where the noun is, and "like this" is also adverbial (I'm not sure about this) because it is comparing similarity between "Horses" and "this". The reason for asking is because I thought that the position of both prepositional phrases look like an adjective.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The chef in the kitchen is working hard" and "Horses like this are very hard to find"

What is the function of the prepositional phrases in both sentences? Is it an adverb or adjective?

*I thought "in the kitchen" works as an adverbial telling where the noun is, and "like this" is also adverbial (I'm not sure about this) because it is comparing similarity between "Horses" and "this". The reason for asking is because I thought that the position of both prepositional phrases look like an adjective.

They are both adjectival. The first speaks to which chef; the second to what kind of horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.